+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girls who insist on texting

Girls who insist on texting

Why do some girls insist on texting constantly? I have noticed a growing trend of girls who like to have long drawn out conversation over text. I normally text small messages, and if it will be a longer conversation, I'll just call because it's way faster and not racking up a huge cell phone bill. I was dating a girl who was apparently on an unlimited texting plan and would constantly text me and keep carrying on the conversation through text. After a few text messages, I would call her to try to politely convey my message, and she wouldn't pick up. Then if I would text, she would reply back. That kind of thing drives me nuts. Why do girls do that?

In a tree somwhere (I'm on the fifth leaf on the 16th branch)
    Texts are time fillers. If you call, the time it takes to complete a conversation is shorter. If you text, it drags on and on. Besides, they'd have a convo history that they can review afterward.
    He who laughs last, thinks the slowest

Well, the first part of your question, I would say because a lot of girls just like to 'keep in touch' and feel like they have their love interest nearby when they want them, even if via text. It's a female thing more so. I personally have learned not to text too often and even though we girls respond at lightning speed most of the time, guys tend to often take their time.

As for the second part where she doesn't answer your calls but rather responds only to text, I find this quite strange. Normally, if I text and then a guy calls I'd be thrilled!! Maybe just come right out and ask her? Is she a shy girl?

Probably and because people have forgotten the art of 'real life' communication.

I personally hate texting and when I was a 'girl' we didn't have mobile phones. We had no choice but to call someone if we wanted to talk and our relationships were 'real' ones.....not imaginary ones being conducted online as a lot are these days.

Pretty soon I suspect people will be getting married online and conducting their whole married lives online.....or does that shit already happen? Wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, texting has its uses, but it's a stupidly inefficient way to conduct a lengthy discussion. Give me a full keyboard that can accommodate my big fingers, so I can type a speedy response. Or if time is an issue, we can just talk on the phone instead of trying to type on it.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

I feel you on the long, drawn out conversations. Some things should just be said rather than sent electronically besides being annoying you can get a skewed version and potentially read things wrong via text rather face to face or by talking.

That being said, my bf and I HATE talking on the phone. I am on the phone all day long for work and its the last thing I want to be tied to when I am on my own free time. In the year we've been together we've had maybe 5 phone coversations. I have the lowest talk plan available on my phone, 400 mins and I use maybe 30 a month and thats if my mom or sister call me.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Texting is asynchronous communication meaning that people can send/respond whenever they want to. Phone conversation is synchronous communication because people have to respond within a certain amount of time (pretty much like face to face communication except your not infront of the person, you are merely talking over a medium). Some people just claim to be too busy to call. Some people work so they cannot really make personal calls at work without some sour faces. Also, some people suck at multitasking where they just can't talk on the phone and do other things at the same time. Some people could be shy and thus refrain from actually communicating with a person.

I much prefer the phone. I'm not patient enough for texting.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    Probably and because people have forgotten the art of 'real life' communication.

I personally hate texting and when I was a 'girl' we didn't have mobile phones. We had no choice but to call someone if we wanted to talk and our relationships were 'real' ones.....not imaginary ones being conducted online as a lot are these days.

Pretty soon I suspect people will be getting married online and conducting their whole married lives online.....or does that shit already happen? Wouldn't surprise me.
    You hit the nail on the head! We're getting more and more anti-social with all the "social communication" methods. ie: facebook, myspace, texting, chatrooms, dating sites. You can see it in the younger generations now. These kids dont know how to talk to people, cant look you in the eyes, always nervous and shit in public situations. it's a shame really.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Because they don't know how to talk on the phone anymore.

When I was in highschool I'd chat with boys on the phone for 10hrs plus (on the rare occasions) I bet those types of giddy long term phone calls just don't happen anymore.

It is also the in thing right now along with twitter. Sometimes people do things just because everyone else is doing it. Valuable input is lost the further you move away from face to face interactions. Communication skills are important and I fear many are being lost.

In a tree somwhere (I'm on the fifth leaf on the 16th branch)
    Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    Because they don't know how to talk on the phone anymore.

When I was in highschool I'd chat with boys on the phone for 10hrs plus (on the rare occasions) I bet those types of giddy long term phone calls just don't happen anymore.
    I was actually on the phone with a lady friend before until we were snoring.
    He who laughs last, thinks the slowest

It's not just girls. I don't "love" talking on the phone but I prefer it to texting. I went out for awhile with a guy who would text always always always, to the point where if I called him instead of responding via text I would feel like I was bothering him, even if I knew he was just sitting around texting me.

If she insists on texting you- get google voice. That way she can text you unlimitedly, and you can respond right from your PC.

If you're lucky enough to have a smartphone, you can install the GVoice app on your phone, too. I use it as my voicemail number since I'm so inefficient at checking them, they fill up until my provider's inbox is full.
    Oh, the only downside though is they don't do MMS.
    Last edited by lilly1185; 07-08-10 at 06:26 PM.
    Give me something I can take,
    Can take to make the memories fade.
    Poison kiss, remember this,
    I never was meant for this day.

Ugh. The texting debate. I hate it.

1. Texting takes up so much time. I will text someone a short message like "Hey, running late. See you soon." Or directions to where I am. My boyfriend texts me Red Sox scores and updates and/or little loving messages while I'm working.

2. As someone pointed out, messages get misconstrued. Sarcasm and other nuanced forms of speech don't translate through text-only conversations, yet people insist on using it as a means for effective communication.

I'm pretty sure people use it as a time-filler. Personally, I can't stand phone conversations. If I have to tell someone something, I call them and keep it short, or I keep it to one text message. I hate people that drag stuff out. Besides, it leaves you less to talk about when you actually do see that person. I much prefer face-to-face interaction to anything else.