Like many people do, me and a friend of mine were talking about homecoming over the phone, which is coming up in two weeks.

I forget how the topic came up... I think it was kinda out of left field.

"Going to Homecoming?" she inquired, like so many other people do. It's such a common topic, especially as seniors.

"No.." I said, without much emotion. When she asked why, I explained my reasoning. I don't believe in going to big dances like these without a date. I think it's great if you go with someone you really like or if you already have a boyfriend/girlfriend, but it's a little pointless if you just go with your friends (I also note that many, but not all, people who go as 'friends' have an attraction on at least one side of the picture).

After telling her this, she said, a bit shocked, "There's no one you really like?" And a few other variants on this question.

"I just... don't really like anyone that much right now," was my answer, which I think was taken as a bit of a lame one.

It's pretty safe to judge that she doesn't like me, although we are great friends. She is very pious and religious, and tends to take that into consideration for relationships. I, on the other hand, tend to think about spirituality, the existence of God, and other religious issues on a philosophical and theoretical standpoint, trying to debate and reason with myself and others to come to conclusions, which are always tentative. And figuring she asks questions about her ex (one of my best friends), I think it's pretty clear that she doesn't see me in that way.

With that, is it so weird to not want to go to homecoming, or in a broader aspect, to not really like anyone? It really does seem like people go out with each other without really liking each other, especially in high school. There's so much lust going on that it obscures the view of a longer term relationship or a big possibility of 'love' in this environment. Many of the girls annoy me when I hear them talk about guys. It seems to all be about who is hot and whatnot (I realize it is the same with guys, also), and it really seems everyone is just mindlessly driven by the notion of sex. I just feel that I need something more substantial than that.

People seem to think that you have to find love or have relationships in high school. I used to think the same way, too. But now, I really don't think that way. You can't hurry love. Is it really so strange to think this way in high school, especially as a senior?