+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Are my instincts right?

Are my instincts right?

Recently I wrote to a man on an online dating site saying that I was looking for someone for a LTR etc and he replied and suggested meeting up the following day. As he lived over 100 miles away, I thought it seemed a bit odd to suggest it so soon. I wrote and suggested that we email for a while first. Anyway, I phoned him some days later (he sent me his number) and I agreed he could phone me at 8-0 the next evening. He hadn't called by 9-0, so I assumed something had come up and I disconnected the phone to watch a film, then the next morning I found he had tried to call six times (four times later on that evening and twice that morning and it was only 8-30 am at the time) and left a message each time, which seemed a bit intense. Anyway, we aranged to meet today but I tried to postpone last week owing to unforeseen circs-big repairs on the house demanding time and attention, but as he couldn't get a refund on his ticket I met him but for a shorter time than originally arranged. He wanted to come over to my house and do the repairs, and was put out when I said that this was not possible as I didn't really know him. He said that he would let someone do his repairs if they offered. He wants to come up here (to the town, not my house)next week, then again later this month and says he would like to speak to me on the phone every day etc, and I am hearing so many alarm bells going off, but am wondering if I am being too critical.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ummm NO! You'd let a total stranger just come right on into your house? Don't be stupid.

Listen to your gut on this one, please! You are going to let a stranger into your home. So many bad things could happen including rape. You don't even know him.

You should notify Chris Hansen.. Wait, don't do that! Just don't let him into your home.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

He's acting like a creepy psycho. Don't even tell him where you live.
    Spammer Spanker

yep, if you tell him where you live.... you may aswell move. i think the wrong move you made was saying straight away that you wanted a LTR cos you never know how long things will last. hopefully not much longer in this case.
    They called us a dead generation,
    They told us that we wouldn't survive
    They left us alone in the maelstrom
    As you can see we're all clearly alive.

I think when you meet someone especially on the internet, it's wise to take things slow. He could be serial killer or steal your shit. Hide your purse, change your locks, and carry mace with you at all times.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

This guy is a total creeper.

I would be very careful with this man, he is way to pushy.
    If you still feel like meeting him then please get to know him a bit better, take it slow.

RUN! What a creepy guy! Please repost soon so I know you haven't been chopped up into tiny pieces!?!?!?
    I'm not good at beating around the bush or sugar-coating things. My responses are never personal vendetta's on your emotional state. It is what it is, whether you choose to accept it or not. <3

I know a lot of people will suggest that you meet as soon as possible and to see if there is chemistry and rather than invest weeks or months in someone with whom there may not turn out to be a spark....but I don't adhere to that. I'd like to get to know someone on a level with which I feel comfortable and if that takes a few weeks, then so be it. I'd be very wary of a guy who was rushing and who wanted to meet me immediatley.

When he suggested meeting and if you were not comfortable with it, you should have told him that you weren't, rather than go along with it.

He could be Jack the Ripper 2nd in waiting, ffs!!!....

Don't invite him again, least not until you are comfortable with inviting him and if he's genuine, he won't mind waiting.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I just want to say I am enjoying Lovefools posts here at LF.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Thank you to all who replied.

I met him last Wednesday, and won't be doing so again. I didn't give him my address, and when I sent a short and polite email saying that a relationship was not possible, he replied with the words 'thank you b...h.' I am glad to be rid of him.