+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's in a smile?

What's in a smile?

I'm sure many of you will tell me to stop worrying and that it's not really anything to be concerned about, but I'd still like to ask. It's somewhat trivial, but it keeps coming back and I just can't figure out what's going on here. Here's the bombshell:

I recently noticed that the woman I'm seeing doesn't really "fully" smile when she takes pictures with me. I look back at pictures where she's with past boyfriends and she always has a full smile, visible teeth and everything. At first I thought nothing of it, but soon I noticed that...well, obviously, she looks much happier with her past boyfriends than with me. Honestly, it bothers me. (I know, if this is what I'm complaining about, then I must have a stellar relationship, right?) I've confronted her about it, and what she told me was that it's not really about how wide her smile is, because when she's with me it's something much deeper and lack of any cooky grins doesn't mean she's not having fun. She also said it was a facade quite a few times....but....well, while I know she can be a good actor, I keep coming back to it and she really does look truly happy in those pictures. It makes me feel kind of worthless because it gives me the impression that I'm not doing good enough or that I'm not good enough for her.

I'm sure it looks paranoid to many of you, but I'd still like some different opinions on what this could mean for her and for me. Thanks for reading.

You might be overthinking it a bit, but if there is something different in how she smiles now compared to before, then it might not just be you: she could be going through something right now that you don't know about, like... I can't think of any plausible examples, but something along the lines of a medical issue, problems at work, family trouble, that sort of thing, and she's hiding that from you rather than discontentment about being with you. I wouldn't worry too much about it since she might've already broken up with you if something was actually wrong with you. (I'm just guessing since I don't know her, but I doubt that she isn't smiling as broadly because she's unhappy with your relationship.)

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You sound ridiculously paranoid, and if I knew my smile was being put to such scrutiny, I would be avoiding cameras.

Be careful that your paranoia doesn't become tiresome to her.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I don't think it's anything you should worry about. She's probably right, it probably was all fake before and maybe now she's more comfortable with you and so doesn't feel the need to 'fake it'.
    Within you I lose myself. Without you I find myself wanting to become lost again.

Maybe her teeth aren't as white as they used to be, so she feels self concious about giving a wide smile...

Honestly, have you got too much time on your hands or something?

Maybe she has gingivitus!
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

^Could be anything....

False Teeth. A tooth missing...all that OP hasn't noticed.

Or perhaps just bored daft and unhappy with OP...LOL

There are some people that are incapable of smiling. She could be a psychopath.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Or PMS'ing when they were took....:|

Or maybe she's feeling guilty about something - having an affair with the guy at work perhaps.

The possibilities for why she didn't smile widely are endless....we could be here all night discussing this.

Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    Or PMS'ing when they were took....:|

Or maybe she's feeling guilty about something - having an affair with the guy at work perhaps.

The possibilities for why she didn't smile widely are endless....we could be here all night discussing this.
    I have time to discuss this.

Likewise! Lets discuss!
    Within you I lose myself. Without you I find myself wanting to become lost again.

I wish there was a chatroom on here. lol.

we're pretty much using this as a chat room =P

Haha good point!

I've been with girls before that didn't smile and I thought something was psychologically wrong with them. I thought they were going to take me down to their cellar and torture me or something. lol

I would hate being with a girl who doesn't smile. It would just feel like everything I do isn't enough. bleh, that would suck!

why on earth did you go out with them weirdos? (No offense to girls that don't smile )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast