+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Purpose of life,... In your Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Are you suggesting that human colonization acts like one gigantic organism? To suggest that a population of animals would engage in homosexual or other kinds of devious behavior IN ORDER TO reduce population is a pretty bold statement.
    And he's not saying that they CHOOSE this, he's saying that some are born innately homosexual. This is one of our evolutionary ways to control population. Nature has a system of checks and balances for every living creature.

Are you suggesting that human colonization acts like one gigantic organism? To suggest that a population of animals would engage in homosexual or other kinds of devious behavior IN ORDER TO reduce population is a pretty bold statement.
    It isn't a deliberate, organized effort, but a subconscious response to external stimuli. Compare a big city with a rural area. Which one has greater population density per square mile? Which one has a variety of gay bars? Which one has more violent crime? Which one has more drug addicts? Etc. I myself would be bored senseless living in a rural area, but I can easily admit that there is a lot more deviant behavior going on in a big city.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

I would say crime in overpopulated areas is generally a result of necessity. He didn't really give a specific example of this 'deviant behavior', but for comparison's sake, I would say that a lot of robberies, burglaries, thefts, drug dealings, and pretty much the majority of crimes are desperate attempts to get by... not necessarily an innate or evolutionary way to control population. In fact, I find that's a ridiculous idea, actually, lol. Sounds like textbook science or something.
    I wouldn't say crime is an evolutionary response as well...however I would say its a reaction to overpopulation.

I think one thing that must be considered is that rats do not have culture. They are not taught "go forth and be fruitful" as sadly so many young people are taught in several cultures.

I'm wondering what the response will be to population numbers among the offspring of my generation considering birth control is takin far more than it used to be and its far easier to obtain. We are also taught to use some form of contraception until we are ready to reproduce....maybe there will be no reaction but truly I hope there is...there are to many damn people.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    I don't think Vin was referring to homosexuality in this specific instance of deviant behavior. I mean, look at crime. That is deviant behavior and it tends to be incredibly prevalent in inner cities as opposed to the suburbs or more rural areas.
    Actually, I include homosexuality as deviant behavior, in terms of deviating from normal species behavior. Homosexuality is the exception not the rule, or else the human population would be a lot smaller by now. I'm straight, but some of my friends are gay, and I don't judge them for it, just like I don't judge the rest of my friends for being straight. The only friend that I criticize for his sexual preference is the bi-sexual guy, and that's only because I think it's rude for him to boast about being bi-sexual in front of his boyfriend. It comes across like he's ready to cheat as soon as he encounters a willing woman.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    It isn't a deliberate, organized effort, but a subconscious response to external stimuli. Compare a big city with a rural area. Which one has greater population density per square mile? Which one has a variety of gay bars? Which one has more violent crime? Which one has more drug addicts? Etc. I myself would be bored senseless living in a rural area, but I can easily admit that there is a lot more deviant behavior going on in a big city.
    I'd say you'd want to look at that based per capita on the region. I live in a rural area, have all my life and trust me we have drug addicts (especially meth), violent crimes, and one of my favorite bars is a gay bar....people are people regardless of where they come from...once again culture is the only real factor at play here...in Indiana which is part of the "bible belt" gay culture isn't as prevalent so I can only think of only the one gay bar.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlorine View Post
    Illusional-----Our tendency to judge the next person, has no bearing on the state of our equality.
    I find that we are equal in the sense that we have similar limitations. Like we all age, when once we could run up and down the stairs, equality sets in when one day you realise you don't have the energy to run up and down the stairs. Everyone ages. Everyone gets sick. Everyone bleeds from a cut. Everyone will die - bit morbid, but true. Realising your humanity is a great equaliser.

The purpose of my life? Not too sure. I try not to think about it too much. I treasure the happy moments, and if life is going at a normal (boring) pace, I am actually quite happy. I do not yearn from extreme highs because I always crash afterwards, to an extreme low. So moderate is good for me.
    holy shit, you're back again!! did you save me as a friend?? i'm wondering.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    holy shit, you're back again!! did you save me as a friend?? i'm wondering.

raverboy
    Illusional-------Yes, of course I saved you as a friend! You're my one and only friend. Hahhahah.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Do I smell... dick sauce?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Do I smell... dick sauce?
    oops, did i cum all over your face again?? my bad.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Purpose in life? None. Easy. We just hobble through life day to day, making things difficult for ourselves. For me, humans are still animals, even if we like to think we're more, but we are the worst kind of animals. Maybe we're even less than animals. If we were animals, the purpose in life would be to reproduce. But we very much f***** this up for ourselves when we became self-conscious, the need to strive for something more has just made our lives more difficult.
    For me, I live day to day with just doing what feels best. I'm a kind person (or I like to think so), I would never hurt someone intentionally that didn't hurt me or someone close to me first. Okay, exceptions. But yeah, do what you want, what feels best. My purpose.

well, im 23 years old. 1 of the best company in the industry just offered me my dream job with a full package and salary raise.

I live in a beautiful condo apartment which i dont even need to clean up because the house cleaner would come every week to help me clean my place.

I have no financial problem. I live in a foreign country with utmost freedom (not even parent here to sensor what ever wrong i do).

So pretty much, i've achieved half of what i always dream of: a successful career, good house, freedom. And the other half of what i want which i failed miserably in is making friends and being happy with people around me. I have practically NO friend here (i broke up with my 4 years long boyfriend recently).

So people, purpose in life to me is being happy and believe it or not, being happy with people around you is one of the most important part. But then, if u're like me, failed miserably in making friends and stuffs, u can invest in your career like i do and being also somewhat content
    keep it simple

Self-esteem isn't bragging about how great you are. It's more like quietly knowing that you're worth a lot (priceless, in fact!). It's not about thinking you're perfect — because nobody is — but knowing that you're worthy of being loved and accepted.

"Me, I try to send this note
    float it like a paper boat
    But paper sinks
    and words are weak
    i try, but i cant speak"

the point is, according to what u say, the point for sex is reproduction but how many times have u done it for the sake of reproduction ? lol. If it's for reproduction purpose, i think every girl will tell u it's everything. Believe me!!
    keep it simple

Self-esteem isn't bragging about how great you are. It's more like quietly knowing that you're worth a lot (priceless, in fact!). It's not about thinking you're perfect — because nobody is — but knowing that you're worthy of being loved and accepted.

But paper sinks
    and words are weak
    i try, but i cant speak"

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nature doesn't make exceptions for intelligent intervention. At least not immediately. Unlike us buzzing gnats, nature is slow, deliberate and thoughtful. We're capable of slapping rubbers on. Some of us are smart enough to say we don't want to reproduce. That doesn't change the fact that we exist for no other reason than to spread our genetic material.

You're born, you reach sexual maturity, you procreate. Whatever happens after that is a selfish waste of resources to prolong an existence that is without meaning.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

well, whatever you say, if we live just because of reproduction then die then reproducing again => it's just a waste of resources to prolong an existent of a race which contribute nothing but keep existing. Dont see it as a whole see it for yourself. What would you want to live for?

Most ppl would say reproducing anyway but while doing it, we can still do other meaningful stuffs..... Reproducing is a purpose of life but not life itself (if u dont reproduce, better dont live!?)

For me, my purpose in life is to be happy, when i was small, i thought if im successful, i would be happy but the closer i am to the goal, the more i realize only 1 thing cant make u happy, there should be severals... like being happy with people around u....

Or just because i just broke up so i cave social life..... My family is asking when i would settle down but how can i settle down while having nobody to settle down to!!! I hate it when my family just keep asking for unreasonable things. It's like asking why dont i live on the moon.....
    keep it simple

But paper sinks
    and words are weak
    i try, but i cant speak"

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What meaningful stuff?

You cling to a tiny, insignificant speck hurtling blindly across the maelstrom of eternity. What can you possibly do that is meaningful? All you really can do is create gods in a vain and ultimately hollow attempt to convince yourself that existence has meaning.

If I implied reproduction is meaningful I apologize. It isn't. But it is the true (and only) goal of all life.

Just because I acknowledge the reality of my existence does not mean I'm going to march off to the nearest cliff and throw myself off. Nor does it mean I'm going to find a suitable mate to share my genetic material with. For better or worse, I am intelligent and capable of reason. I wouldn't be aware of any of the above if not.

I exist to reproduce but I choose to ignore that imperative. Instead, the focus of my life is to maintain the proper balance of chemicals to achieve that special cocktail that keeps my emotions neutral at best, while occasionally seeking to spike them into the positive. I live for self-gratification and pleasure. I acknowledge that everyone else is in the same boat as me. I see no particular reason to interfere with their pursuits in so far as they do not interfere with mine. That's my life.

I pursue hobbies. I read books borne from great minds in the hopes of gleaning at least a patina of their "significance". I seek the company of fellow humans for the pleasure and contentment it provides. In many ways I'm more liberated and active thanks to my beliefs than those who think life is meaningful, or who believe there's a god to grant them purpose and reward.
    Last edited by Gribble; 17-09-10 at 05:29 PM.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast