+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What to do next?

What to do next?

Hello, everybody. This is my first post and just came here for a lil advice:

This past weekend I was a groomsman in one of my best friends wedding. One of my other good friends was also a groomsman and he has a sister a year younger than me who I've had a slight crush on for longer than I can remember. We all grew up on the same street but when college started she moved into the city and partied all the time. I rarely saw her after that, maybe twice a year and I just bummed around town with her brother and whoever else. I never really suspected that she liked me more than a friend so I just kept it at that and eventually I fell in love with someone else and ended up in a relationship all through college. She had about 3 different boyfriends in college but just recently broke up with her long distance love. I just recently broke up with my long term gf, graduated college, moved into an apartment, and now happily live by myself.

Flash forward to the wedding... Here I am sitting at the head table finishing my dinner when my friends sister walks over to take some pictures. She starts talking to her brother but acts too preoccupied to notice me. No big deal. A few minutes later everyone is up talking and making rounds when I notice her standing pretty close to me. I turn around, our eyes meet, and I give her a warm hug and ask "How are you?" She hasn't seen me in probably 8 months or more and since then I grew out a pretty attractive beard. So the first thing she says to me is, "Hey, I really like your beard!" She then says that she hardly recognized me when I was walking down the isle during the ceremony. I took this as a good thing. A few other friends join our conversation and I get it out there that I'm getting by great in my own place. I made it subtle but she got the point.

As soon as the first dance song came on I was out on the floor dancing. I like to have a good time and I really enjoy dancing (maybe not well) but I can groove to a beat just like the next guy. I noticed her a few times standing off to the side so I tried getting her out onto the floor with me but she would hesitate, laugh, and go off somewhere else. Whatever. I just kept dancing with everyone and really having a good time.

Later that night she walks by the dance floor and I reach out my arms and try to get her out there. She smiles and says she'll be right back and beelines to the bathroom. She's in there for a good 5 minutes and I see her walk out and disappear. She returns 10 mins later with a glass of wine and starts dancing. After the song ended a cheesy, slower 80s song begins playing and I reached out my hand to slow dance and start lip syncing the words to her with a lot of passion. It was funny and she got it so she set down her glass and we embraced in the typical slow dance fashion. At this instant I was frozen. I had forgotten how to dance, where to move, what to do, what to say. My mind was scrambling for anything. She looked more beautiful than I could ever remember. Luckily the song started to build to an anthem rock chorus and we parted and started screaming the words at the top of our lungs. Another guy in his 40s came over and joined us and we rocked it pretty hard. I was doing air guitar solos and she would laugh at my moves. I hadn't had that much fun in a really long time. The song ended and more friends joined in.

After that I would occasionally run into her and twice I noticed her gazing at me. I would turn around and see her looking at me and then we'd quickly look away. We danced some more but with friends and she eventually left with her family and I didnt get a chance to say bye, which sucks because I have no idea when I'll get to see her again.

So the past few days she has been the only thing on my mind. I love life more than ever right now and can't help but think it's a coincidence that we both broke up with our loved ones around the same time.

What should I do next? To make matters worse I don't have her number and her brother is one of my good friends and he's really weird about her dating his friends. I'm also not sure if she even feels the same way right now. It could have been another meaningless flirtation for her. Any help or different perspectives on the situation would be great.

Thanks!

Come on Dude...Give her a call, her brother(your friend) has to know nothing right now. Call her up and see what happens.
    I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen... Lloyd Dobler