+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriend talks too much about family

Girlfriend talks too much about family

Hey there.
    Weird title isn't it? the thing is not that she talks too much, I love listening to her always. It's that she ALWAYS, CONSTANTLY talks about her family, almost 90% of the time.
    I love my girlfriend to death, we've been together for almost 6 years, but..
    If I'd say I have so and so item she'll go "yeah, my dad's also got that, he uses it to.."
    or "yeah my mom said that she agrees about..."
    ALWAYS. And she'll start developing a whole conversation about it and everything that I TRIED to say in the first place is kind of dismissed. It's always really been like this but, I've been in the army for several years so I guess it hasn't bothered me.
    It's ridiculous. It's also very annoying.. I'd say borderline hurtful on the risk of sounding girly, that she would not even listen to me, if I say something it's like she half listens, and I want her to RESPOND to what *I* am saying, instead she takes what I say and turns it into a "yeah my mom\dad blabla". I'm not sure how to explain what it feels like but it's half like she's ignoring me, but not really cuz she's listening, just not responding.
    I really love my girlfriend, and talking with her and being with her is one of my better aspects of life, but she really makes it hard sometimes.
    Well, so really the advice I'm asking here is, how should I approach it? I don't wanna blunt out say it because I know her, and she'll say she's sorry and pretend she's ok, and she WILL try to stop doing it, but she's a bit sensitive and would probably feel very guilty.

Thanks for any advice

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    that's what she's SUPPOSED TO DO.

No, it's not. I don't think you understand the extremity. It's ALL she talks about. we NEVER talk about anything else. I am sorry. I am not just getting to know her, we've been together for 6 years, I think it's time for talking about other things. When we're out and having fun I don't wanna keep hearing how awesome her dad is and how awesome her family is CONSTANTLY, NONSTOP. I sincerly doubt that ever since I've known her she's ever been so proud of me as she is obviously "superman-fying" her dad and her family. She always talks about how her dad can do everything, her dad is so great, I mean ENOUGH! let's talk about something else already.

Maybe her family has a similar problem, that she is always talking about you when she is with them.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    that's what she's SUPPOSED TO DO.
    Opps what I meant was she's SUPPOSED to:
    say sorry, try to not do it so much, feel bad, and try to change.

That's what you're supposed to do when an issue is brought up to you and you're attempting to correct whatever undesirable behaviour.

And don't pull the shit stop I can't bring it up she's senstive. So? Do you not bring up other major issues to her becasue she's so sensitive? Tell her to cut it out (nicely) she'll be hurt but whatever she'll get over it and change.