+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Career Advice...sooooo stressed

Career Advice...sooooo stressed

I haven't posted much lately as I've been trying to get settled into my new house with the boyfriend. The kids come home tomorrow. Just A LOT of adjustments to get use to, it will all take time to get settled in.

Before I moved to my boyfriends house, I had about a 3 minute commute. I was very spoiled in that situation, that I realize. I don't love my current job, not by a long shot. I took the job when I moved to this area about a year ago because it was so close to my old house and the economy was horrible. The pay is decent but like I said, I don't love it nor do I thrive at it.

Now that I moved to my boyfriends house I have about a 30 minute commute. If I loved my job I could deal with it, I just get sick at the thought that I spend 5 hours a week in my car. Just wasted time in my opinion. The thought of having to drive that in winter storms, yuck.

I have been looking for a different job near my new house for a couple months now, the economy still isn't wonderful but I've had a couple promising interviews. There are definitely more jobs near my bf's city.

Today I had a hiring agency call me about a position that is hiring right away. Just a few miles from my new house. I have an interivew on Friday. Its in a call center, a lot of data entry and sales. I'm sure I'd do fine in that line of work, its something I have experience with, its just the fact they are hiring right now, like want people to start tomorrow which is a red flag to me. Usually that means there is high turnover which usually means there is something sucky about the job where employee's aren't lasting or are being let go. Also, the position would start with a shift from 2:30-11 and weekends. Not ideal. It would be nice in the aspect I could help get the kids up and ready for the day. In my current job I have to work til 8pm two nights per week and by the time I get home the girls are in bed already and then half the other mornings I'm on the road when they are getting up.

I did some checking into the company, I can't find anything bad about the company. Even the BBB has good things to say about them. The hiring guy I spoke with said he hired 10 people for this position last year and 6 are still with the company.

If I were to take this random position and I didn't care for it I'd still have the option of applying my butt off, like I do now, in hopes of getting in to something more stable, something using my degree.

I don't know...no one I know will really tell me what I should do. My bf is fine with whatever I want....your thoughts? I don't need someone to tell me what to do I just need outside perspective. I am just so stressed and exhausted right now....
    Last edited by QueenofCorona; 02-09-10 at 12:42 AM.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

This sounds like a situation of the devil you know versus the devil you do not know. First job was just a job. Second job is just a job that happens to be closer and a slightly better work schedule. The second job sounds a little better, but not much. In this kind of situation my gut says to stick with the devil you know. I would continue applying your butt off until you find something that is significantly better. Ultimately you have to make the decision.

Thank you. Today after some rest I am feeling better about my current job. I have seniority and PTO time built up. Going in to a new job I'd be screwed. I will likely continue with my current job and try to look for a solid career in the meantime rather than job hop.
    blue skies from pain.
    A smile from a veil?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Cold comfort for change?

Before you up and leave your job, I think you should take some time to really figure out what you want to do. You mentioned B&N a while ago. Nothing came of that?

So, do you know what you want to do? Everyone goes through periods of "going through the motions", but maybe this change in your lifestyle might help give you an opportunity to pursue something new.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenofCorona View Post
    Now that I moved to my boyfriends house I have about a 30 minute commute. If I loved my job I could deal with it, I just get sick at the thought that I spend 5 hours a week in my car. Just wasted time in my opinion. The thought of having to drive that in winter storms, yuck.

its just the fact they are hiring right now, like want people to start tomorrow which is a red flag to me. Usually that means there is high turnover which usually means there is something sucky about the job where employee's aren't lasting or are being let go. Also, the position would start with a shift from 2:30-11 and weekends. Not ideal. It would be nice in the aspect I could help get the kids up and ready for the day. In my current job I have to work til 8pm two nights per week and by the time I get home the girls are in bed already and then half the other mornings I'm on the road when they are getting up.
    my thots :
    1. 30 mins commute doesn't sound too bad
    2. wanting people to start immediately is not necessarily a bad thing, they could be growing and hence need more people to handle the volume
    3. the working hours would be my biggest concern. doesn't sound like u will have time with BF and his kids as much as you like to

u should still go and talk to them and see if there may be other openings and if there is a career path from the call center job.
    but based ONLY on what you have described, it doesn't sound compelling enough for u to make the switch.

just my 0.02

I dunno about other parts of the world, but 30 minutes is an average commute length for me. It took me about 20 minutes to get to work back home in Boston, either because I had to get to the highway via the backroads, or because I had to take the windy backroads through to the next town over. Here in SD it takes me 25-30 minutes on a day without traffic. 45 min-1 hour when traffic gets backed up going South on the 805. Thank goodness my car gets great mileage.

I guess I am realizing its not that bad of a commute the more I talk with people, just an adjustment for me. I was in a pretty bad car accident in 2008 and since then I have a weird fear of another accident especially in the winter.

I think I just need to breathe and figure out what I really want.
    blue skies from pain.
    A smile from a veil?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Cold comfort for change?

Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    Before you up and leave your job, I think you should take some time to really figure out what you want to do. You mentioned B&N a while ago. Nothing came of that?
    I'm still interested, I just worry though that I'd be taking a large pay cut.
    blue skies from pain.
    A smile from a veil?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Cold comfort for change?

Quote Originally Posted by QueenofCorona View Post
    I'm still interested, I just worry though that I'd be taking a large pay cut.
    Yes, you would. Unless you are applying as a manager. Are you? Then again, I'm not entirely sure what they make.

What about B&N do you like so much?

Not a manager but more customer service. I'm just a book nerd and actually have enjoyed working in retail in the past although that has its downfalls around the holidays and crab ass customers.
    blue skies from pain.
    A smile from a veil?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Cold comfort for change?

Well, holidays are great for business and providing employees with hours

But you will take a huge pay cut I imagine. Do you have the qualifications to be a manager? They usually have more than one. Store Manager, Assistant Manager (sometimes 2), Merch Manager, Cashwrap Manager, etc. You would still be doing customer service and you'd have more responsibility to play with by managing people, promotions, special events, etc.

Customer service is so much fun for me, but it can get boring really fast when the customers stop coming and all you're left with is shelving books. That is why I left earlier this year. They were shafting me with little to no hours, and I'd work early hours so there was little to do but clean and shelve. I was bored out of my skull.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I feel you Queen.

I drive a total of 2+ hours a day.

So that's about 12 hours a week sitting in my car.

I used to drive 15 minutes and be at work.

in my opinion you should take some time to figure out what you really want to do.