+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Emergency declared after 7.1 quake hits New Zealand

Emergency declared after 7.1 quake hits New Zealand

(Reuters) - Authorities declared a state of emergency after a major earthquake hit New Zealand's second biggest city, Christchurch, early on Saturday, bringing down power lines, ripping up roads and wrecking building facades, but authorities reported no deaths.

A formal civil defense state of emergency was imposed to coordinate recovery operations in the city of around 350,000 after facades collapsed into streets, crushing cars and blocking roads.

The earthquake had a magnitude of 7.1 and a depth of 10 kms (6 miles), hitting the South Island city and a large surrounding area of farms at around 4.35 a.m. local time (12:35 p.m. EDT Friday).

The city's hospital said two men had been admitted with serious injuries, one hit by a falling chimney and the other cut by glass. It had also treated a few other people with broken bones, cuts and grazes.

"I think we've been extremely lucky as a nation that there's been no fatalities; we're blessed actually," Civil Defense Minister John Carter told reporters, adding that he expected the cost to the economy would be substantial.

Prime Minister John Key, who has a sister living in the city, was heading to the city with senior government officials.

"I think it is going to take quite some time before we know how big the bill is," Key told Television NZ.

Christchurch city and the neighboring small towns bore the full force of the quake, which did considerable damage to infrastructure.

"The damage is immense, it's something that has affected every family, every household...the hit on our infrastructure, the pipes that deliver the water, the waste water, the bridges, the power supplies...has been very significant," Christchurch mayor Bob Parker told reporters.

Police said there were minor instances of looting, which had been quickly contained. In the suburbs many houses had broken windows, toppled chimneys, cracked walls and items thrown off shelves, with some streets and footpaths subsiding.

Power was out over a large area of the city and surrounding region, but was being progressively restored after safety checks.

Authorities were preparing to bring in water in large tankers because pumping stations were out of action and pipes broken.

RURAL EPICENTRE

The small farming community of Darfield, around 20 kms (12 miles) west of Christchurch, was near the quake's epicenter.

The principal of the primary school there said the quake, which threw him out of bed, was terrifying.

"Our china cabinet has crashed, pictures are off the wall, anything high up has come down and the cat has gone. He is probably still heading south," Markham McCullen told the NZ Press Association.

GNS Science, the New Zealand government seismological agency, revised the quake's magnitude to 7.1 from an original 7.4. The U.S. Geological Survey initially reported it at 7.4 but later revised its figure to 7.0.

Christchurch airport was shut as the runway and facilities were checked, and the railway network and bridges throughout the region were also being checked for damage.

The quake was felt as a long rolling motion lasting up to 40 seconds. The area was continuing to feel aftershocks as strong as magnitude 5.3.

The quake was among the 10 strongest recorded in New Zealand, which sits between the Pacific and Indo-Australian tectonic plates, and records around 14,000 earthquakes a year, of which around 20 top magnitude 5.0.

The last fatal quake was in 1968 when an earthquake measuring 7.1 killed three people on the South Island's West Coast.

(Editing by David Fox)
    source - http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6823Q420100904
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    wow, that's unexpected. everyone's been saying that a big one should hit L.A. soon. but on the other hand i've heard that for years.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hope to be out of here before the big one hits the LA area.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    We've been hearing for years in Vancouver that we're due to be hit by an absolute monster; we're right on some nasty faultline. We did earthquake drills in school.

I didn't expect to hear of a quake like that in NZ........they're SO lucky that no one was killed. Amazing, really.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I spoke to my co-worker about this today, he's mum who's over there was terrified when it happened. They're so lucky nobody got hurt. I mean, this was slightly bigger than the Haiti earthquake (at least on the richter scale). When the same happened in Haiti the deaths were in hundreds of thousands.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Haiti is a smaller place with more people, and they're disgustingly poor. Their buldings are shoddily built and therefore could not withstand such quake. It totally makes sense more Haitians would have died. I'm still shocked that NO ONE in NZ was killed tho.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi