+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Anyone seen Dating in the Dark tv programe?

Anyone seen Dating in the Dark tv programe?

Anyways, I was watching this today-it was on Living Tv- and even though I thought it would be cheasy, it was actually fascinating!

Just in case you don't know, there's 3 male contestants, and 3 female contestants, and they all go into a pitch dark room-we see night vision though- and they go on dates in the room. Later on, the guys sit in the room and the girls sit in another room, and a screen shows their compatibility based on personality, values, etc...and are shown in a percentage how compatable they are. Then, they are to pick who they would like to go on more dates with, and then they pick who they want to *see*. So before they see each other they create a face image out of choices of how they imagine them to look-and the person they choose gets to *see* them back, but they don't get shown at the same time so their reactions are hidden. And finally, they choose who they want to meet in person, or if they want to leave the house without meeting anyone.

It was amusing because the personality attraction and connection they had almost didn't match the physical attraction they had. And almost all of the ones I've seen-bear in mind I've only seen 2 episodes!- they haven't gone with the compatibility results given to them.

It struck me because in the last one I watched, 2 people who were compatable hit it off really well, so there was no arguement there. But there were 2 rather vain people-female and male, I'll call Vf and Vm, whom were most compatible with each other. The other couple most compatible with each other were a rather normal female and male, I'll call Nf and Nm, whom got a whooping 96% compatibility-the highest ever in the show. Now Vm liked Nf and in between the dates the guys decided to get competitive winning over this girl. The Vf didn't really have an interest in anyone, but here's what happened. Nm knew that Nf would ask for a date with him, so he requested a date with Vf to keep his options open in case Nf didn't wanna meet him. Vf suddenly became interested in him, and Nf was a bit miffed at him picking the other girl to date too.

When it came to the reveal, Nf picked Nm because they had kissed, and Nm was a bit unsure of her being beautiful. Vm picked Nf to see, and he was the type of guy she was normally attracted to, even tho she knew he came off as a bit of a player. Vf picked Nm and was disappointed, but Nm thought Vf was sexy and was the kind of girl he'd go for.

Ok, hopefully that wasn't too confusing. When to the meet, Vf left the house, and Nm was stood up. Nf waited for Nm, but he was too ashamed that he had picked the other girl that he left. And Vm got stood up by Nf because he was her second choice and she had decided she'd only meet 1 guy.

So effectively Vf got between Nf and Nm because Nm wanted to have a second choice to fall back on!

On a more general note, it's interesting how the people seem attracted to someone's personality, but not their looks and vice versa. And how on this programme, a lot of them disregard the scientific results of the compatibility test.
    Last edited by Charisma; 05-09-10 at 03:53 AM.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've watched the show and it annoys me. I saw one episode where this guy had two girls that liked him......one smoking hot, and one who was 'pretty'. The smoking hot one was a model who was completely full of herself. Her and the guy got along alright.....she liked him more than he liked her. On a personality level, he clicked with the 'pretty' one a lot more. You would THINK he would just go for the pretty one since they hit it off so well.

Of course, he sees them both and then is in a 'dilemma' because the girl he didn't like as much was crazy hot. What I don't get was why this was a dilemma. The other girl was attractive too......he did end up picking her in the end, but he got labelled in my head as a douchebag for even CONSIDERING going with the other chick based on looks alone. People are so stupid.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

yeah, but that's why it's so fascinating! They even get told who they will best get on with, and yet as soon as they do the reveal thing it's like :O *ok maybe I don't like them anymore*. It's also kind of funny because they walk away thinking they all weren't *their type* and yet they have this high compatibility with another person and let looks affect their view of the person. And it was really going for looks that messes it up.

Thank god life isn't like that though, that you get to see who you speak to and bond with. Unless you rely on the internet, or telephones, or letters or something.

Maybe I'm silly for finding that stuff interesting!