+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The girl I fancy is coming to town...! But how do I get her interest?

The girl I fancy is coming to town...! But how do I get her interest?

I am going to university in a few weeks. I got a place at UCL in London as a Freshman but I only moved into London a few weeks ago.. Turns out someone I knew from my year out in Japan (I was doing a Japanese language course) is coming to London to start their Master degree. This girl Miharu is a Japanese American but went on the same language course as me in Japan to improve her Japanese. She's 3 years older than me but is also an extremely sweet and cheerful girl. Quite classy too...! On top of that she is very beautiful but for some reason isn't your stereotypical 'hot girl who is a bitch'... Which is good! So here's the thing we've hung out in group gatherings during our time in Japan with our mutual friends a few times over the course of a year but we've never really gotten to properly know eachother or get close.

So when I just said hi on her Myspace several days back. She told me she wasn't doing her masters in canada anymore and instead coming to London to study in a couple weeks! I don't know if it's her first time in London but I really want to show her a good time in London. This is really basic for most of you out there but it's something i've never done before so wanted to get some advice from you guys with more experience! -- So I'm thinking maybe offer to show her around on her first day and invite her to have lunch? (I know something like dinner is sending a very different message!)...

So my goal is to try and see if our relationship of 'speaking a few times during group dinners with our mutual friends in Japan' and 'just saying hi whenever we crossed paths in the japanese campus' into something more like proper friends and maybe a little more than just friends later (not getting my hopes up this early, haha!).

When she mentioned on my myspace she was coming it was like : "hey! hahaha! naa... i'm not studying in canada anymore i'm coming to london in a couple weeks alr... "

^Now we all know girls mean 10 things when they say something so what is she trying to suggest? Is it appropriate I offer to show her around London and invite her to a lunch and coffee first?

Then how can we develop our relationship a bit more into becoming proper friends who can hang out and maybe try and see if there's any interest?

Thanks!

Any warnings- like strict don't do's for a 'first meeting'?
    Any suggestions/tips- to maybe make things not so platonic and dull (i.e. show some subtle interest) but not come in obvious or strong?

Bear in mind she is 3 years older than me. I am starting freshers she is starting masters. I am considered by my friends and peers as 'very ahead of my age' so I appear older.

Can anyone offer their advice and experiences/knowledge please ? I'd really appreciate it!

Hi Sembonzakura, I think you sound like you have it worked out pretty well, coffee and lunch sounds like the way to go. As far as do's and dont's I'm not to sure what to suggest because she's American, whole different culture, I think maybe a traditional pub lunch would be good and if you pick the right place maybe shoot some pool. If she is cold when she is walking around with you make sure you have a jacket to put around her, little gestures like that show your a friendly person who would look after her should she be intrested in you. Hope that helps and good luck!!