+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Did he really love me?

Did he really love me?

I was dating a man for a little over a month and he claimed to be in love with me and asked me to marry him. I did some soul searching and realized that I loved him and even though it was very quick, I accepted his proposal. We are both in our 40's, been married before and figure at our age we know what we want. He had me pick out a ring, and start thinking about wedding dates and places, he started making plans for me and my children to move in with him, even making additions to his house for it all. About 2 weeks after this began, he text me one day to say that he had been offered a job he had been trying to get for 2 years with the corporate office of his company in Houston (we live in the New Orleans area). I thought "great! He got a promotion and I'll have no problems finding a job in Houston". But then he text "so it's impossible for us to get married now. Sorry, it's over" He wouldn't even come see me in person and when I kept asking why this was the death for our relationship, why he didn't think we could move there together, he got upset and then nasty with me. Then he cut me off completely and I haven't heard a word from him in over a month. I'm letting my broken heart heal, it's to the point now that I'm more disappointed that I was fool enough to open my heart to this man, not really over him - his actions showed me his true colors as a man. But I can't help but wonder if he truly was in love with me, or if I was just something to fill a void in his life and then this great job came along which was a better "filler" for him? Keep in mind, we are talking about a 45 year old man here, not a 20 year old who hasn't been through the wringer of life yet. He is also leaving his two sons here with their mother while he moves for this job and didn't seem too concerned about not seeing them on a regular basis either, which shocked me (again, those true colors came out that day). Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

It can be anything... There could be someone else where he's moving, maybe he has worked hard for the job and is only worried about that now... or maybe he just wants to start a new life! I can't tell you what a 40 year old man is thinking by just reading a paragraph, but what I can tell you is that anyone who is willing to let go of you just like that can't be worth your time. If he trully loved you, he would have stayed or tried to make something happen.You're very lucky that he was offered this job before the marriage happened, just try not to get attached so easily in the future and remember that a month is just not enough time no matter what you might think!

Sorry, but I doubt that after only a month he was in love with you. More likely he was 'in lust' with you.

Any guy who tells you within a month he wants to marry you, has you looking at rings and setting wedding dates, should NOT and NEVER be taken seriously.

Guy played you BIG TIME IMO.

you can never know who really loves you and who doesnt.

You two rushed it . . . sorry, just like 20's year olds as well

Dating for a month and then a marriage proposal? Seriously. . . this is not love.

btw, if he has 2 kids and is leaving his mom then it's quite obvious he doesn't want to get attached to people - he isn't really the marrying type.