+ Follow This Topic

Thread: "I love you"

"I love you"

Ok here's the thing...

Have been seeing someone for the last 6 weeks, who I think is absolutely amazing - we hit it off on a physical and emotional level very quickly and have became very fond of each other in a short space of time.

A couple of days ago, she told me she loves me, and without hesitation I said it back - I am totally falling for her.

My problem is, we have spoken about past relationships and she told me after a few weeks of seeing each other that she told her ex she loved him way too early, and wasn't sure if she ever did (they weren't together too long).

My question is - how do I know she's saying she loves me BECAUSE SHE DOES and not because she thinks she does - or wants to? Does this make sense?

I have no real problem, and although things are moving fast we are both very very happy.

It's just a little thing that has niggled me. We both want the same things in life, are very similar people but I'm hoping the attraction and 'love' from her side is genuinely for me and not just because I give her the attention she wants and has the same goals, dreams and ideas for the future as her.

Thanks all! x

Sounds like she's totally honest about her feelings for you and has explained a bit about her past. Treasure this woman. And give her your love.

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    Sounds like she's totally honest about her feelings for you and has explained a bit about her past. Treasure this woman. And give her your love.
    Yeah she has been and so have I - not that there has been anything bad happen in the past with either of us. Just relationships that didn't work out for one reason or another.

She's not clingy or obsessive, neither am I. And from what we have learnt about each other are totally trusting in one another.

I just love talking about her!

I think 'I love you' at 6 weeks is probably more 'I love being with you and spending time with you'. You're both still getting to know each other, so it's probably more that she thinks that she does, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was in the same boat as you with my ex, we said 'I love you' after a few weeks, he said it first. We then spent a year together, which was amazing (apart from the breakup of course), and when I first said it, I meant it as I love being with him, which later turned into being in love with him. I wouldn't worry about going into meaning too much, you're obviously doing something right. She's been open about her past which suggests that she doesn't want to make the same mistakes again. If you continue to worry about it, maybe talk to her about it, like she has with you. Tell her that she doesn't have to say such big words, or maybe say something like, 'I love spending time with you rather than 'I love you' if you're unsure. I don't think someone would say something like that just to be nice, especially if she was the first to say it. Good luck.
    Last edited by flo_22; 01-10-10 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flo_22 View Post
    I think 'I love you' at 6 weeks is probably more 'I love being with you and spending time with you'. You're both still getting to know each other, so it's probably more that she thinks that she does, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was in the same boat as you with my ex, we said 'I love you' after a few weeks, he said it first. We then spent a year together, which was amazing (apart from the breakup of course), and when I first said it, I meant it as I love being with him, which later turned into being in love with him. I wouldn't worry about going into meaning too much, you're obviously doing something right. She's been open about her past which suggests that she doesn't want to make the same mistakes again. If you continue to worry about it, maybe talk to her about it, like she has with you. Tell her that she doesn't have to say such big words, or maybe say something like, 'I love spending time with you rather than 'I love you' if you're unsure. I don't think someone would say something like that just to be nice, especially if she was the first to say it. Good luck.
    Thank you Flo! Yeah it started off as 'I like you', but I could tell what was coming (sooner or later) - it's definitely not a problem for me this whole thing I just wanted to hear people's thoughts and I think you are spot on. It's still very early days for us, but so far so good! Thanks again!