+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Friend's weight loss

Friend's weight loss

I have a very dear friend of mine who has lost a lot of weight. Over the last ten years with extreme self discipline and exercise he has managed to shed I would say about 100 lbs, but I don't know the exact weight. Right now he is at a healthy weight, but is every self conscious about the extra skin he has that isn't going away. He goes to the gym almost every day, and he eats super healthy, I'm really proud of the way he has gone about doing this, buy he is still self conscious, I have never seen him without his shirt on but I am pretty sure he has saggy man boobs.
    My question is this, despite his accomplishments he is still incredibly depressed because of his skin. I've known him for three years and he has missed out on so much because of this. He wont get into relationships, and he wont even go swimming. Because he has done all that he can do I recommended plastic surgery, I think it is the best option for his well being and self esteem, my husband has even said I could travel with him to get the surgery and take him to his recovery appointments (he is a good family friend and we live in Waco which is not the best place to find a plastic surgeon). It kills me because I even set him up with a cute friend of mine that ADORED him and he couldn't date her out of fear, it broke my heart.
    My question is have you or do you know anyone who has been able to shed the skin any other way or has had surgery to correct the issue?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I know someone that had the excess skin from their face/jaw line removed after a similar weight loss. She didn't bother with the rest of the body, though. It's expensive, and she's in her 60s, and doesn't really care what she looks like naked.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I know someone that had the excess skin from their face/jaw line removed after a similar weight loss. She didn't bother with the rest of the body, though. It's expensive, and she's in her 60s, and doesn't really care what she looks like naked.
    I'm surprised someone in their 60's bothered with surgery at all.

yeah, as you lose LOTS of weight like that, your skin can only tighten up so much and sometimes you have to surgically remove the excess skin. He should consult his doctor about it, but I'm pretty sure thats the only option he's gonna have after losing that much weight.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkle_jello View Post
    I'm surprised someone in their 60's bothered with surgery at all.
    Are you kidding? They are the only ones who can afford it!
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Friendly update.

My friend has a surgery consult in less than two weeks. I am excited for him but he is worried about the price and scars. If he can't afford it he will be trying the P90X program because we have a mutual friend that totally transformed their body doing this. I also have the workouts and although I don't do the actual program, I can attest that the workouts alone will kick someone's ass into shape in no time. I guess what he is planning now is to fill the extra skin with muscle. We have talked about him trying an internet dating site, he is opening up to the idea. Yay.

They have skin removal surgery for that, unfortunately it's one of the few downsides of massive weight loss.

He's lucky to have a friend that cares as much as you do.

People with excess skin and body contouring deformities that may develop after a successful massive weight loss process requires incisions. With experiencing rapid weight loss the skin has lost its elasticity causing it to sag. It is similar to wearing clothes three sizes too large, and the only option is surgery.
    VALENTINNO
    www.valentinno.com
    www.facebook.com/poet.valentinno