+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why are people turned of by people with mental; health problems?????

I'm pretty sure when someone like the OP says "Mental health issues" and is seeing shrinks he isn't talking about a mild case of depression. Which is why I said what I said above.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    How does someone who is depressed make someone else happy when they can't even be happy themself?
    it is possible. just because we have issues with the way we feel about ourselves doesn't mean that we can't love and care for another person. i suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety every now and then, but it doesn't mean i don't love my boyfriend. if he were to come on here, he would vouch for how caring i am, and how willing i am to put plenty of other people before myself, which is probably part of the reason i get so anxious, because i take it a little too far at the expense of myself. and i can see how someone who doesn't acknowledge their issues and who doesn't try to actively take control of it could let it go too far and could inevitably end up hurting their relationship. but what i'm trying to say, is that there is no reason to not date someone who suffers from depression if they are actively trying to work on it. this whole thread was started because the OP had dated someone for a year, trusted them enough to tell them about his depression, and they dumped him the next day. if that isn't completely ridiculous, then i don't know what is. if the person was content with the person not knowing that they had depression for a whole year, then it shouldn't have been an issue. but it was, because the girls he dated were ignorant. and i feel that someone who says "i won't date a depressed person", just like that, without being willing to understand the entire situation is just ignorant and is probably not worth getting involved with anyway. it's just the replication of this type of mentality that bothers me. people being close-minded and passing those viewpoints down to their children.
    Last edited by RdHrshyKss; 19-10-10 at 01:46 AM.
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

I'm pretty sure when someone like the OP says "Mental health issues" and is seeing shrinks he isn't talking about a mild case of depression. Which is why I said what I said above.
    mental health issues is a really broad statement. he probably should have said "depression" and noted that he has it under control.

I don't buy that at all. They date him for a year and can't tell that he has a serious chronic depression problem and only realize it when he tells them. After a year? really? Either he has a really mild case that everyone has and is blowing it out of proportion, he dates morons, or he is lying to us.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

I don't buy that at all. They date him for a year and can't tell that he has a serious chronic depression problem and only realize it when he tells them. After a year? really? Either he has a really mild case that everyone has and is blowing it out of proportion, he dates morons, or he is lying to us.

it's a possibility. but you underestimate the power of medication.

Quote Originally Posted by RdHrshyKss View Post
    it's a possibility. but you underestimate the power of medication.
    I would not want to be with someone who, in order to be normal, would have to be on medication.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkle_jello View Post
    I would not want to be with someone who, in order to be normal, would have to be on medication.
    we agree on that point. i don't agree with medication either...psychotherapy is the only type of treatment that gets to the cause of the problem. but in order for it to be effective, the patients need to have a good support structure. and if everyone thought like you, they wouldn't have anyone to rely on.

okay,. i have suffered with anxiety for 1o years of my life and im now 20. so i have had it for half of my life and i have suffered with severe depression for 5 years of my life. i take 2 tablets in morning and 2 at night. if u are saying you would not date someone who is taking tablets then you are discriminating and have a stigma against people with problems. i have had a few girlfriends and have made them all really happy but i choose to be honest with people as it helps me relieve my stresses. okay!!!! i have friends. yes i have lost one or two but that doesnt matter as the ones i love have stood by me thru the worst times i have ever had. and saying that you would not go out with somone who has depression cos u have a kid is a bit harsh. most of my girlfriends either had brothers and sisters living in house with them or they had sons or daughters. it doesnt matter. people with depression and mental health problems are more caring and sympathetic than most people because they have gone thru alot. and BTW most people will suffer from a mental illness, wether it is depression or anxiety. so how would u deal with it if your daughter got depression. would u kick her out of the house????
    thank you RdHrshyKss for understanding xx

Quote Originally Posted by gollom555 View Post
    okay,. i have suffered with anxiety for 1o years of my life and im now 20. so i have had it for half of my life and i have suffered with severe depression for 5 years of my life. i take 2 tablets in morning and 2 at night. if u are saying you would not date someone who is taking tablets then you are discriminating and have a stigma against people with problems. i have had a few girlfriends and have made them all really happy but i choose to be honest with people as it helps me relieve my stresses. okay!!!! i have friends. yes i have lost one or two but that doesnt matter as the ones i love have stood by me thru the worst times i have ever had. and saying that you would not go out with somone who has depression cos u have a kid is a bit harsh. most of my girlfriends either had brothers and sisters living in house with them or they had sons or daughters. it doesnt matter. people with depression and mental health problems are more caring and sympathetic than most people because they have gone thru alot. and BTW most people will suffer from a mental illness, wether it is depression or anxiety. so how would u deal with it if your daughter got depression. would u kick her out of the house????
    thank you RdHrshyKss for understanding xx
    Clearly, you have issues.

go on. what issues do i have???? most people will suffer from something and you cant get ur head round it. or u got somet wrong and dont wanna admit it. if u met me in the middle of the street u would not know i had depression and anxiety til i told u.

i would like for u to explain my issues.

sparkle jello lacks sensitivity towards this issue. she's one of the lucky souls who was born perfect so don't mind her.

gollom, you are young. you are only 20 years old. you have plenty of time ahead of you to find the right partner. for now, i would concentrate on getting into some kind of CBT therapy and work on yourself. i'm afraid that women your age are still immature and won't be too understanding. concentrate on yourself, and on getting the therapy you need so that you can eventually ween off the meds. once you are feeling more confident and secure about yourself, then you can jump into the dating scene again. don't let simple-minded people put you down. i commend you for taking charge of your life, acknowledging your problems and trying to do something about it. there are a lot of people who are too cowardly to acknowledge their issues because of the negative and intolerant stigma that society associates with it. you may be dealing with some shit that other people are lucky to not have to deal with, but in the end you will be a whole lot stronger for it...stronger than any of these "perfect" people who have clearly never been tested like you have.

i tell people to be honest.

thank you. i have got an appointment to see if i am suitable for CBT next week on mon.
    thanks for the advice x

Quote Originally Posted by gollom555 View Post
    thank you. i have got an appointment to see if i am suitable for CBT next week on mon.
    thanks for the advice x
    i'm surprised that you weren't in some kind of therapy already. how did you come to be prescribed meds without therapy? especially since you've had this since you were young. it's highly frowned upon to be prescribed meds without it being in conjunction with some kind of therapy. with your history, i hope you can get into CBT...it'll really change things around for you and give you more control of yourself. good luck.

Gollom, do you realize you asked a question... I realized it pertained to me and I answered said question, then you went off the deep end for my OPINION and what I would do. Why did you even ask the question if you were going to go crazy on the people that told you the truth? I'm not trying to spread an agenda, I answered all questions given and you went nuts. You do have issued apparently.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast