+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: why are people turned of by people with mental; health problems?????

Yeah, i definitely agree with the majority here.. you can't wear it as a bad or a name tag, and define yourself by this characteristic. Its ally our qualities and attributes that make you who you are, this is just a dent in that every now and again (assuming all is medicated and treated well, whatever the case may call for).

As for honesty, well there are some things that you should share right away, some things you shouldnt. This is definitely one of those things that shouldn't come out until later in a relationship. By telling someone really quickly, you are in a sense tossing yourself under the label.

Quote Originally Posted by all alone View Post
    Yeah, i definitely agree with the majority here.. you can't wear it as a bad or a name tag, and define yourself by this characteristic. Its ally our qualities and attributes that make you who you are, this is just a dent in that every now and again (assuming all is medicated and treated well, whatever the case may call for).

As for honesty, well there are some things that you should share right away, some things you shouldnt. This is definitely one of those things that shouldn't come out until later in a relationship. By telling someone really quickly, you are in a sense tossing yourself under the label.
    If you are becoming friends with someone you shouldn't tell them right away if at all. If you are romantically involved with someone they should probably know pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RdHrshyKss View Post
    i guess if you like looking at people as inanimate objects that are for your picking, your ideology works... i think the point here is that people are too quick to judge and categorize others into one big lump of "depressed people" when there are many varieties of depression. if someone has their depression under control, is getting therapy in conjunction with medication if that is what their form of depression calls for, there is no reason to shun them from the world of relationships.
    if you had to choose for a relationship between two people with near identical personalities but person B had depression while person A didn't, who would you choose? I don't want a long-winded explanation. Just pick A or B

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonandfork View Post
    if you had to choose for a relationship between two people with near identical personalities but person B had depression while person A didn't, who would you choose? I don't want a long-winded explanation. Just pick A or B
    i would NEVER EVER EVER date some with depression. i't date people with other issues though. ADHD, ADD, ODD, OCD, and many more are find with me.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Sometimes you have to make an exception. In my ideal world, women would never have PMS, lol.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    nope, no exceptions.

But, you make me muy loco, chica.

Quote Originally Posted by gollom555 View Post
    why are people turned of by people with mental; health problems?????
    i have mental health problems and if u knew me u would not think i have but i have. why are people put off by this???
    I haven't read most replies so I will reply to the original post.

Honestly, I think the post is a bit too vauge. It all depends on the "severity" ofthe problem. I think most people have a mild anxiety and depression problem triggered by random events and as long as your symptoms are mild I don't think you will have many issues with others. If your symptoms are severe however that's a different ball game all together. That means people need to go out of their way and learn how to interact with you. It's painful, it's not pretty and it's not easy. If your symptoms are severe then your target audience will be of those who are highly altruistic and this ofcourse is not a very big market to chose from.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

ah hell i'd get with a guy who had mental problems. in this day in age i can't see how anybody can not have mental problems. i don't get what people are so fuking content about anyway.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    ah hell i'd get with a guy who had mental problems. in this day in age i can't see how anybody can not have mental problems. i don't get what people are so fuking content about anyway.
    my philosophy applies to MALES only. i always expect a man to be mentally stronger than me. i get the blues from time to time as well and i allow myself that, however i do look down on men who claim to be depressed. double standard, i know. it's just there can only be one mentally unbalanced person in a relationship and i already claimed that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonandfork View Post
    if both people were exactly the same in every aspect, then obviously i'd pick the one without depression. but that's never the case, so your question is sort of ridiculous.

i'm an open-minded person, so i wouldn't cut ties with someone strictly because they said they had depression. i'd have to figure out if their issue negatively affects the relationship before i'd consider leaving them because of it.
    Last edited by RdHrshyKss; 20-10-10 at 09:10 PM.
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

ive not been on for a bit and reading the contents is a good thing for me as people are giving their views and opinions on the subject and not me. i started this to try see what people thought about people with mental problems and how the would react to a relationship. a relationship is for bothe people to enjoy, i agree with that. but if you love someone surely you should be able to want to learn more about it. i have looked on many websites for information on this subject but i thought i would see what diff people thought about it.

as for a or b with one person having depression and one not having depression. it should not matter what problems they have if you love them i think i would embrace all aspects of them as we are only human.

thanks for your comments and any advice on relationships and stuff would be apprectiated as i am intreeged as what people think would help me.

thank you x

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    my philosophy applies to MALES only. i always expect a man to be mentally stronger than me. i get the blues from time to time as well and i allow myself that, however i do look down on men who claim to be depressed. double standard, i know. it's just there can only be one mentally unbalanced person in a relationship and i already claimed that position.
    Yeah, well guys don't want to be around whiny little sissies, either. The last thing ANY man wants to see is a woman crying, and any time spent around a woman who is angry or depressed is time wasted. Luckily for you, men don't (normally) go around crying and shit - instead they bottle it up and throw it in the back of their mind.

Each and every one of us is neurotic in one way or another. No one is perfect in every aspect. Mental issues are a matter of degree. It's a matter of whether they affect your life. If they do seek treatment. Bettering yourself is always good for you and any relationship. We're not talking about dating a violent pyschotic here. Google famous people with "depression" or OCD or whatever. The lists are long and Im sure there are many people whom you respect on them.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by gollom555 View Post
    if u are saying you would not date someone who is taking tablets then you are discriminating and have a stigma against people with problems.
    Discriminating?

There's already enough minorities to discriminate against in this world, stop crying for attention.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast