+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Too much fighting?

Too much fighting?

How often is too much fighting in a normal relationship?
    My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 7 months and he lives with me. Since he and I met he hasn't been able to find a job and he has had to move away from his kids. So he is really stressed. We get into fights quite often. Sometimes we'll go a week or so but mostly its about every 2 or 3 days. We have almost broken up over it several times but I love him and I am trying to stick it out and I tell myself that things will be better when he gets a job. I feel terrible about him being stressed and depressed but lately I'm thinking maybe it won't get better. He just got offered a job and he starts this weekend. It's not what he wants to do and he hates that he has to do this job but it's really our only choice because the economy is so bad. I thought that would bring up his spirits but I almost think it's gotten worse. We have gotten into really bad fights lately where he has called me names and has been very disrespectful. And I admit when I'm wrong and say I'm sorry but that doesn't seem to help at all. He doesn't let things go and he'll drag on the argument for way longer than I think is reasonable. I have never been a fighter. I hate it and I try to avoid it as much as possible. I've never been in a relationship where there's been a lot of fighting. Granted I've only been in two serious relationships before, and I feel like I have way stronger feelings for my current boyfriend. I don't know what is normal but I don't think it should be this hard. Don't get me wrong we have had some great times. He is very thoughtful and caring and we compliment each others personalities when times are good. I'm almost ready to give up! What should I do?

Yeah, that's just bananas. Occasional fighting and disagreement are to be expected, but not to be typical. Your boyfriend sounds incredibly immature with the namecalling and stuff. You'd be better off finding someone who does not resort to this behavior when he is upset. I really doubt that economy/financial crisis is a reasonable excuse for the way he treats you. I certainly wouldn't deal with it! You could surely rough it out until after the weekend to see if things get better, but don't forget, you know where the door is when you want to leave him.

"Sometimes we'll go a week or so but mostly its about every 2 or 3 days. We have almost broken up over it several times"

2/3 days, a week at most . . .you've broken up several times? . . . time to move on and find someone who is compatible.
    You post, you ask questions, you give facts --> I reply, I give quotations, I have opinions

When my husband and I first got into a relationship, we fought a lot more than we do now. It could be that the relationship is new. It wasn't every night, but we fought a lot. Now, we almost never fight, and when we do, it's about something incredibly dumb. The last three fights we've had have been about... a hedgehog, cleaning out a closet, and something tmi. But that's just us.

He takes his stress out on you. Unacceptable. You have to stop this, either by ending the relationship or changing the behavior. There's nothing wrong with fighting, but you guys do it way too much.
    Spammer Spanker