+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Just broke up with my boyfriend :(

Just broke up with my boyfriend :(

So I just broke up with my boyfriend an hour ago. I still love him, but the past couple of weeks I've felt like I haven't had a boyfriend at all. He hardly texted me at all, except to accuse me of cheating when I was at a male friends house getting some advice on what to do. I ended up drinking and didn't think driving was such a good idea so I stayed the night, he gave me the bed and he slept on the couch, and absolutely nothing happened. I clarified to my boyfriend, that he was nothing more than a friend and I had known him for years and he wouldn't try anything and the whole reason I was there was because I was upset over him not talking to me the past couple of weeks. I was just looking for comfort, not to cheat, I could never do that to him. I explained that nothing happened, but he was really mad that I stayed the night there anyways.

Overall I feel like he doesn't give me the time and attention I need (I see him one day a week for the past 10 months, when we could see each other more, but he doesn't try to even though I've told him I want to see him more often), and I felt really low that he wouldn't even try to contact me (I texted him to let me know when he had time to talk and was waiting for him to respond for days). So I broke up with him because I didn't want him to think he could take me for granted or walk all over me. Part of me thought that if I broke up with him, it would click in his head that he hadn't been there for me like he should have and maybe he'd want to be a better man or try to show me that he could. I didn't know where to start so I just said "I'm breaking up with you, did you want to know why?" and he said he did so I expressed my feelings calmly and without anger about how I felt unimportant and wanted someone that was going to want to be with me a lot and put me first, but I did end up crying. He didn't think that I was going to break up with him and he told me that he knows he's a jackass, but never tries to be that way to women, he said was sorry that he couldn't be a good boyfriend. He asked if he could hug me and (after I said yes) hugged me for a really long time and said he'd always love me and that was it.

I'm not sure if I should have broken up with him or not. I feel like I deserve to be respected more and put first, but I'm not sure if he'll ever do that. So that part of me feels I did the right thing. I still love him and I miss him already. Should I wait it out and see if he tries to be with me? (although I don't think it's very likely) Should I wait a little while and tell him that I want to try again? Should I just tell myself it's for the best and try to forget about him?

cohen_girl, love suck's we all know it. But sometimes guy's are just complete idiot's and don't know a good thing if they have it. Give yourself some time to move on. It's hard to get over a relationship people are in for so long. Move on, he is not worth it.

You need to move on. He wasn't putting any effort into the relationship. It takes two, not one person.

Also he just hugged you and left. If he wanted you to stay he would have said something, or asked what he could do differently.

Second, usually when someone accuses you of cheating...they are trying to pick a fight so they can get out of the relationship, they don't trust you (obviously time to move on if there is no trust), or they are cheaters themselves and it is their sick way of trying to make you the guilty one instead of themselves

Quote Originally Posted by reeba View Post
    Second, usually when someone accuses you of cheating...they are trying to pick a fight so they can get out of the relationship, they don't trust you (obviously time to move on if there is no trust), or they are cheaters themselves and it is their sick way of trying to make you the guilty one instead of themselves
    I know that he wouldn't cheat. Plus, he'd have no time/energy to cheat. He knows that nothing happened, but was angry that I'd sleep in another guys bed (even without said guy in the bed) and thinks that my friend wants in my pants because he told him what a beautiful girl i was and how lucky he (my bf) was to have me. He thought that I had put myself in a situation where my friend could take advantage of me (which i know that he would never do, but my bf didn't).

"broke up with him because I didn't want him to think he could take me for granted or walk all over me."

+

"he told me that he knows he's a jackass, but never tries to be that way to women, he said was sorry that he couldn't be a good boyfriend."

--> It's okay, consider this a start of getting a better relationship
    You post, you ask questions, you give facts --> I reply, I give quotations, I have opinions

Quote Originally Posted by cohen_girl View Post
    I still love him and I miss him already.
    Normal. That isn't a good reason to get back together, though you did have excellent reasons to break up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by cohen_girl View Post
    Should I just tell myself it's for the best and try to forget about him?
    Yes, do this. Don't wait for him to try again, and don't plan to call him at some point. Just move on. Keep reminding yourself of how you weren't getting what you wanted from that relationship.

Yeah, you're right. Thanks!

Well, at least you didn't break up over a video game. Don't ever let anyone accuse you of cheating just for having a male friend.

Relationships are mutual..it takes two to tango.
    For a FREE downloadable ebook / guide to Online Dating and Relationships, visit www.onlinedatinggold.com