+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Fable 3

Fable 3

I'm playing and loving it! Anyone else?

My roommate sitting next to me is playing it right now. Personally, it's not my style of game. I've been playing the new Fallout game in my free time.

Resonance of Fate for me
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Haven't played games for ages, but Fable rings a bell.

I really enjoy its general style, though I've only had a go at the first one but they all seem pretty similar, just upgraded.
    What bugs me is that about halfway through it always inevitably becomes a full-on hack'n'slash button mash, which gets old real fast regardless of new scenarios and opponents.

Same goes for the Elder Scrolls series, alot of charm and potential but disintegrates the further it goes. Only game I've encountered with a proper combat system has been Mount & Blade: Warband - now if you combined that with a properly developed world to explore you'd definitely be onto something.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    New Vegas is pretty good. First game in a while that tries to do more than throw an infinite number of absurdly easy enemies at me to be mowed down without difficulty. Still gratuitious levels of combat and still faaaaar, faaaar too easy. But it's a nice step. Dialogue matters. Unfortunately, that's got more to do with just having the right point spread than actual effort on the gamer's part. Baby steps. One day video games won't be childish slop. I'm confident of that.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    New Vegas is pretty good. First game in a while that tries to do more than throw an infinite number of absurdly easy enemies at me to be mowed down without difficulty. Still gratuitious levels of combat and still faaaaar, faaaar too easy. But it's a nice step. Dialogue matters. Unfortunately, that's got more to do with just having the right point spread than actual effort on the gamer's part. Baby steps. One day video games won't be childish slop. I'm confident of that.
    Try Resonance of Fate dude. It's a Jrpg, but it's an old school Jrpg with crippling difficulty, which doesn't hold your hand and requires you to do a lot of thinking on your own to get through. It's tactical combat all the way through, the one that makes you yell when you finally get the best of your opponent.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    After Final Fantasy 12 I haven't touched a JRPG. It killed the genre for me. I'd grab Resonance of Fate in a heartbeat otherwise, but I know you're a big FF12 fan, so... I dunno. It may not be for me.

EDIT: The video looks pretty cool, actually. Hopefully there's a demo floating around somewhere. Nothing kills a game quicker for me than repetitive combat.
    Last edited by Gribble; 02-11-10 at 12:31 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I like Fable 3 better than FF13 and that's huge for me because I'm a big FF fangirl.

That being said, if Resonance of fate is "cripplingly difficult" I don't think I want to play

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    don't know what Fable is, I am a POTC fan.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Pirates of the Caribbean?
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yeah, i've been hooked on it for the last 3 months. oops it's actually 6 months.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Quote Originally Posted by LailaK View Post
    I like Fable 3 better than FF13 and that's huge for me because I'm a big FF fangirl.

That being said, if Resonance of fate is "cripplingly difficult" I don't think I want to play
    Personally, I didn't like FF13. I finished it and put it on the shelf and will probably never play it again. FF12 I thought was a lot more progressive, it allowed freedom of movement, revamped the battle system, disposed of the annoying random encounters. FF13 for some reason took many steps backwards, put the game on rails and made the whole experience feel more like a movie than a game.

Resonance of fate just gives you that breath of fresh air, it gives that rush of excitement that I felt the first time I picked up FF7 or FF8. It makes you think, it makes you plan things, it gives you 1001 ways to dispose of your enemies, but make a wrong move and you are toast.

As for Fable 3, I liked the first one, maybe I'll check it out sometime in the future.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~