+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any point in having a relationship at a relatively young age?

Any point in having a relationship at a relatively young age?

I'm 18 years old and I've never seen the point in having a relationship with someone around my age with whom, let's face it, I probably won't get to sleep with (unless she's slutty, which is not my type) and I most likely don't really love anyway. I've been with girls before just for the hell of it, never actually knew why.
    Just one person I've had a crush on seems to be an exception, which has been going on for quite a while and I'm starting to think I've really been in love with that person, or something close to it. It doesn't affect me that badly, but it does come back to haunt me from time to time...

Have I been missing something? I'm aware relationships will gain new meaning once I get to college, but what about now?

If you find someone you enjoy being around who shares the same feelings, then yes.. relationships have meaning

Two reasons that come immediately to mind:

1) Gives you experience for when you ARE ready to seriously date. You'll be better able to read body language, "take a hint", listen to a lover, and be less nervous.
    2) It's quite unlikely, but you may just meet someone absolutely amazing who ends up becoming the love of your life.

If it's just nerves go ahead and throw yourself into the dating pool. BUT don't date if your heart really isn't into it.

-PP

Edit:
    3) It's fun to spend time with other people, romance or not.

Why would a girl your age wouldn't sleep with you, unless she's slutty? Huh? 18 is a very normal age to be having sex right, and who saves it for marriage these days? I lost my virginity at 18, with my (now) ex, he was also 18 at the time. And a virgin. We stayed together for 7 years. But our first time having sex was after one month.. so I repeat, why would that make a girl a slut? Hehe.

When you're ready you know, some day someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked with anyone else.

In my view there is more to life than relationships and being partnered up. If I could have my time over again, in my late teens/twenties I'd be pursuing a career, travelling the world and perhaps start thinking about marriage, etc when I was early 30's. By that time I'd be old enough and mature enough, for a serious relationship. I'd have established a career by then, own my own home and car, be financially secure and so would never be fiancially dependant on a guy...and I'd have experienced life.

Most kids of 18 are NOT mature enough for a serious relationship.
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 02-11-10 at 02:44 AM.

As with all things in love, you reap what you sow.

xxazurexx says:

"In my view there is more to life than relationships and being partnered up. If I could have my time over again, in my late teens/twenties I'd be pursuing a career, travelling the world and perhaps start thinking about marriage, etc when I was early 30's. By that time I'd be old enough and mature enough, for a serious relationship. I'd have established a career by then, own my own home and car, be financially secure and so would never be fiancially dependant on a guy...and I'd have experienced life."

nothing you said is incompatible with a relationship. A good man or woman will help you do all those things and more

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    xxazurexx says:

"In my view there is more to life than relationships and being partnered up. If I could have my time over again, in my late teens/twenties I'd be pursuing a career, travelling the world and perhaps start thinking about marriage, etc when I was early 30's. By that time I'd be old enough and mature enough, for a serious relationship. I'd have established a career by then, own my own home and car, be financially secure and so would never be fiancially dependant on a guy...and I'd have experienced life."

nothing you said is incompatible with a relationship. A good man or woman will help you do all those things and more
    Maybe so...but I'd choose to do it alone and without the complications that relationships can bring.

Something wrong with that?

xxazurexx says:

"Maybe so...but I'd choose to do it alone and without the complications that relationships can bring."

then blame your poor taste in guys rather than writing off relationships until your 30's

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    xxazurexx says:

"Maybe so...but I'd choose to do it alone and without the complications that relationships can bring."

then blame your poor taste in guys rather than writing off relationships until your 30's
    One thing I can't stand, is some clever shit ^^ who judges a person and assumes they know their life story and after reading ONE post.

I made a comment and based upon what i would do if I could switch the clock back. Nothing to do with bad experiences, but what I would choose to do and because I feel there is MORE to life, than relationships. I also feel that I missed out on a lot of things life has to offer and because I married so young. Now I'd be out there experiencing the world and before I chose to settle down and I'd choose to do it alone - I don't recall telling anyone else to follow suit.....I gave an opinion as to what I'd personally do!!!!!

Maybe you can't do without a man in your life and need one to feel complete and happy....but I don't

Something wrong with that?
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 02-11-10 at 04:03 AM.

Ignore him, it's Neo.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven_Skye View Post
    Why would a girl your age wouldn't sleep with you, unless she's slutty? Huh? 18 is a very normal age to be having sex right, and who saves it for marriage these days? I lost my virginity at 18, with my (now) ex, he was also 18 at the time. And a virgin. We stayed together for 7 years. But our first time having sex was after one month.. so I repeat, why would that make a girl a slut? Hehe.
    Note I said 'around', in my case preferably under 18 as it's generally better for the guy to be older. 17, 18 is sort of okay, if the partners are mature enough, I guess. Now, legally speaking, 18+ is recommended to avoid potential drama.

It's pretty funny how things changed for me, I didn't have relationships a few years ago because I was too immature/lacked grooming/confidence. Now, I don't because I see no need for commitment.

Okay. Well I hope this is not hurtful but it sounds like you've never really loved anyone before. Relationships take on new meaning when you get into college? What the hell? If you LOVE the person- then the relationship should have been meaningful from a long time ago. I'm younger than you and I can see that you ARE missing something.

It sounds like you don't know what you want. You say you get with girls but it's unlikely that you'll get to sleep with her. Then you say that if she does sleep with you- she's a slut. Well, if you like this girl you have a crush on enough why not go out with her? If she doesn't sleep with you- there's no point, right? But if she does- then she's just a slut, right?

I don't think you're ready for a relationship. Not now and certainly not soon. Know what you want and what you're looking for before even thinking about starting a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Ignore him, it's Neo.
    Ignore this guy. He's cucumber boy

Sea what i did there?
    Last edited by Applesauce; 02-11-10 at 08:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast