+ Follow This Topic

Thread: husband's list of sexual partners

husband's list of sexual partners

I could use an outside perspective. A couple of days ago while emptying trash cans in our house I came across a sheet of paper that contained a list in my husband's handwriting. On the list were the four cities he's lived in during his life, along with a bunch of other states. After each state was a single number (mostly 1's and 2's), and after each city was a series of initials followed by a total number. I was intrigued by the initials, and after studying the list for a few minutes, I developed a theory--that it was a list of my husband's sexual partners. I counted 30 initials on the list.

We have been married for 16 years. My husband insists he has always been faithful to me, and I have no reason to believe he hasn't been faithful to me--aside from the fact that I knew he'd had quite a few sexual partners before we were married. That worried me early in our relationship, because I wondered if it was possible to change one's pattern of behavior when it came to sexual partners.

I decided it would be better to ask him about the list rather than worry about it, so that evening I explained to him how I happened to come across the list and I showed it to him, asking him (in a neutral, non-confrontational way) what it represented. After a few silent moments, he said, "It's all of the women I've made love to." I asked him why he happened to create the list, and he said that during a recent business trip out of town, he had a dream and woke up thinking about all of the women he'd "made love to," and he decided to list them. I asked him when the sexual relationships had occurred, and he said they'd all been before our marriage. My initials were on the list, in the last group of initials.

I told my husband I was feeling a bit unsettled and confused by the list. I wondered why he was reminiscing about past sexual encounters and why he happened to develop the list now. He became angry, saying that if I trusted him I would know the list was meaningless and would just move on. He felt that my questions and concerns indicated I didn't trust him.

I love my husband and I think we have a good marriage. What do you think? Should I just forget about the whole thing?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Leave him alone and stop rooting through the trash looking for problems that aren't there.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yeah leave him alone, that's nothing to be worried about. It's the male equivalent at looking at old love letters. It's a reminiscing thing.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

i agree, everything will be fine.
    im not married but i've made lists whilst in perfectly committed relationships just outa curiosities sake. i really think that it means nothing.

Er... I'd be more concerned about his anger in response to your questions than the list itself.

I wouldn't give a toss about the fact he'd had past sexual partners....who hasn't?

What would concern me, is why the heck he's presently feeling a need to scrawl down the initials of all his past sexual partners?

Does he work, have hobbies, etc?