+ Follow This Topic

Thread: When to become engaged?

When to become engaged?

My little sister said she and her bf have been talking about maybe getting married. the thing is they have only been together like 5-6 months. i think that's way to short of a time. especially since she is only 20. i was wondering am i crazy, is it just me?? how long do you think you should be together in general b4 getting engaged? AND when you are with a guy/girl how long into the relationshop does it take you to start thinking about maybe wanting to marry this person?? i'm floored by these 2. i mean i wouldn't even be thinking about it at 5 months, and they are already talking about it with each other!!! what are some of you opinions on this!???

i would never start thinking about getting married to someone for ATLEAST a year. that's just me though. i know there are alot of other factors that can come into play. i have alot of friends that scare me. they will be with someone for like 3 months and be like i could marry this guy. ofcourse they say that with like every guy the date for atleast a few months and still they don't learn....*sigh* what will i ever do with them??

It's 'puppy love' on steroids. They have a case of 'puppy love' but feel that since they're 'adults' they should think about discussing 'adult' ideas such as marriage. They'll plan a day ("we'll get married the DAY we graduate college!") and they'll break up way before that and she'll talk it over with the next boyfriend. And next. And next. Until she finally realizes, "Hey. Maybe I should just chill".

Either that or they'll get married young AND fast, and end up divorced a few years down the road wishing they had just waited.

Rod Steele

i think they want to get married is bcuz they think they want to live with each other for the rest of their lives and not actually realising that it is gonna b hard and not as fairy tale as they think.

anyway, for me, i would like a period of 1 year AT LEAST

I AM B-A-C-K!!!!!!!! WANNA MAKE OUT?

i think that for some people they just jump way ahead of themselves. i did everything in my life early in my teens i had my son and a year later i got married and im telling you as i was walking down the ailse & omfg i knew it was all wrong & went for it anyway!!! a day later we got into a fight and my ex wanted his ring back and a divorce. he got scared! left for the navy again and then unfortunatley he had major regrets as time passed and i was like hell no!!!!!! i look back and the only thing that makes sense from my relationship with him was my son! it takes time i think for some but then again for some others they know right away but even then ya never really know life is like a box of chocahlates you never know what your gonna get

haha puppy love on steroids. sf, ur f'ing hilarious! anyways, i think you described alot of people i know to a T. i think we all know people like this. they think they are going to marry every guy/girl they manage to hang onto for like 2 months straight. they have been "engaged" like 5 times by the time they are 24. but everyone just rolls their eyes b/c they know it will never happen. eventually you hope there people will just learn, or atleast learn to keep their mouths shut!