+ Follow This Topic

Thread: catastrophic thoughts

catastrophic thoughts

Hi all,

Recently I've been having real problems with catastrophic thoughts. I've been dealing with this thing called Pure O OCD. Its basically ocd but the compulsions are thoughs, for example constantly thinking about something or checking it in your mind.

I had it under control for a while but now its starting to become more frequent. And about more topics than it was before. In the past, its juts been one or two things that would set me off. But now its becoming really bad. I mean, today, I've been panicking that a dream I had actualy happened. When I woke up I knew it was a dream and thought nothing more of it, but a few hours later and I'm shaking because of the stress/anxiety of it being actually real.

I think I need help, but I know my parents probably wouldnt be the people to go to about this. Who should I go to for help? and has anyone else been though this or something like it? I could really use any advice or anything because its really starting to get to me now.

Thanks for taking the time to read,
    Rich

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Have you been diagnosed by a doctor? If so, I don't know why your parents wouldn't be appropriate to talk to. You will probably need cognitive therapy, and perhaps medication.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I was diagnosed with OCD a few years ago. I don't take meds or anything - some examples of my behavior would be that I always triple check to make sure everything is locked and secure. If something in the current room seems 'out of order' or unorganized, I have to organize it, otherwise I become obsessed with the thought of it, even if I go somewhere else - I will still be thinking of it. That's probably the worst part of it - the obsessive thoughts; repetitive, uncontrolled thoughts and images of accidentally running over someone with my car, or that someone is going to break into my apartment and steal something valuable of mine. A more specific example is that I'm obsessed with the thought that a drink will accidentally get spilled on my computer and destroy it.

I like to think of my condition as a heightened sense of awareness - I am organized and cautious. It does interfere with my life on a daily basis, but it's not really severe enough for additional treatment. I usually meditate before bed, sometimes even recording my thoughts in a journal and that helps tame it.

What you're describing doesn't sound like OCD to me. If your dream is really causing you anxiety, though, you should see a doctor.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 22-11-10 at 06:45 PM.

Hmm, I used to have OCD-like behavior as a kid, but as I grew up I realized it'd be stupid to think something bad might happen should an irrational ritual fail to be completed. Now, I sometimes picture myself getting killed in some way related to the current situation or picture others getting killed. Fortunately, these images are easy to brush off and in no way reflect real fears or wants.

In your case, it would be a good idea to talk to your parents/ see a doctor about it like suggested above, especially if you can't control these thoughts regardless of how much you try to focus.

Thanks for the advice guys, its nice to have somewhere to talk to about this.
    I've decided I'm going to make an appointment to see my doctor in the next few weeks.

After I've heard what he has to say I think I'll go to my parents then, so I have a medical opinion/information first.

I'm looking forward to getting this sorted, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction
    I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks again all