+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Top Gear...watch it!

Top Gear...watch it!

so this past sunday top gear premiered in the the USA. and no, i'm not talking about reruns of BBC's top gear...i mean our own american version of the show.
    and i don't want any of you british folk talking trash ...i'm a pretty avid BBC top gear fan and no one can beat the camaraderie between jeremy clarkson, richard hammond and james may. or the fact that jeremy clarkson has been involved since the shows inception in 1977. i just watched his italian job film by the way...awesome!

anyways, please, please, please...if you are someone who enjoys cars, enjoys actually learning about cars or automotives in general, and has the history channel, please watch this show! give it the views to bump up the ratings. it airs on sunday nights at 10pm.

i watched the premiere with an open mind (knowing full well that these guys had a lot to live up to with the series) and you could tell they were nervous...but overall i thought they worked quite well. i can only see the relationship amongst the three hosts getting more interesting and entertaining over time and as they get more comfortable with each other.

in case you are wondering who the hosts are, they are adam ferrera (comedian/actor and car buff), rutledge wood (racing analyst), and tanner foust (champion rally and drift racer). tanner really made his debut in the premiere. raced the last dodge viper to be produced before dodge puts it on leave until 2012, and the newer models will become limited with mandatory stability and traction control systems. it was a bit of a farewell to what the car was capable of. and of course we can't forget about some sexy lamborghini track testing, and a celebrity track session.

please check it out. tell your family and friends...it was a fun hour and i think this is a great opportunity for americans to learn how seriously cool it is (and a great privilege) to drive cars...all done in a REALLY fun and entertaining way.
    and of course, tanner foust is awesome...
    Last edited by RdHrshyKss; 23-11-10 at 11:51 AM.
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

I watched it, well parts of it. I thought it was awful. There was no humour in the show, nothing remotely interesting and the attempts at copying the original British version was bound to draw up comparisons.

Yes people want to try following the success of other shows, but come on, surely you could come up with something that is new? Something to seperate it from the original.

Many people hyped up the US version, but just like the Office, I can't see many of us Brits liking the show.

trust me, i love top gear UK...probably one of my favorite shows. and yes, nothing can compete with them because the trio is well established. they've been together for years and years, no start off show can compete at all.

and i agree...most americans who watch top gear UK can agree that some aspects of the US show is corny and unoriginal. i started this thread shortly after i watched the first episode...and i was being positive because i'm not pessimistic. i know that they were coming out with this show with REALLY HIGH expectations and that's nerve racking. i gave the guys the benefit of the doubt. i like rutledge wood...i find him to be very entertaining. adam ferrera is annoying...i'm pissed at why they put him on the show, exclusively to boost viewings from a particular subset of people (i don't think i need to be specific here). tanner faust is a pro, but his personality can be somewhat annoying too...a little too confident for his own good i think.

overall, after watching 5 episodes so far i am a little disappointed. i definitely wish that they could be a bit more original...i think that's going to be the reason for their ultimate demise. the only people who have taken the time and effort to check out the show are top gear fans...coming out with the show and doing almost the same exact thing as top gear UK is somewhat embarrassing and is turning the viewers off.

i'm not going to say that the episodes were completely crappy, because i have definitely found some entertainment in each of them. the most recent one was cool in my opinion.

it sucks though, i was really pumping this up because i NEED an american show that gives out information on cars like this. the US doesn't really have one that large scale. there are SO many idiots on the road out here...maybe i thought by this show being good and becoming popular it might give us americans a say in what kinda cars get produced here. it's a start i guess.
    Last edited by RdHrshyKss; 28-12-10 at 09:48 PM.
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

I adooooooore this show!!))

thanks., its really toop.,

Great show, but it's more about entertainment than the cars now i think. Still a great show though

great show,late to watch it

man love rules ok

I'm British so it hardly matters, but the thing that would bother me is that while the BBC is publicly funded (so they can say anything they want) presumably the American version would be funded by adverts and sponsors, and thus the presenters would be forced to cater to those sponsors rather than speaking their minds. Which is what makes BBC Top Gear so good.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Top Gear sucks. Both versions