+ Follow This Topic

Thread: alopecia

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

alopecia

I have this, and have done for the last few months. My doctor says its down to stress, but if anything im under alot less now than previously but its still getting worse, luckily its in a place easily hidden when i have my hair tied back (for now at least).

Anyone else suffer from this, or able to recommend something that might help. My dr says there is no treatment.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    As far as I know, treatment options depend on the cause, and it may respond to corticosteroid injections or minoxidil (Rogaine). Sometimes a transplant is successful, depend on how much hair loss there has been, and sometimes (depending on cause), it just grows back spontaneously. I don't think I have heard of stress being a cause (though perhaps it could be a triggering factor in someone predisposed). Genetics, illness, malnutrition, and autoimmune disorders are more often the case. For you, unless you know people in your family with this problem, I would suspect malnutrition, possibly related to your DM.

Another one of our posters has this, too. Asian girl, can't remember which one.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanks for the info, its not really bad at the moment, though my hair has thinned out and there is one area about an inch in diameter that there is no hair at all.

The first doctor i saw ran full bloods which came back with nothing significant, he also gave me a steroid cream to apply which doesnt seem to have helped at all. The second dr actually has alopecia himself and is convinced its down to stress, but as i say this started at probably the least stressful time in the last few years.

ETA: I did notice it seemed to start when i went back on to the contraceptive pill, but when i mentioned this the dr rubbished it.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I heard a long time ago that if you increase the protein intake in your diet, it's supposed to help increase hair growth and promote its' shine and health.

She said to include things like eggs, nutella, red meats, nuts, etc. into each meal of the day and that at the end of the month, you would get results.

Unfortunately, I live in a household full of people with different eating habits, so it's a bit difficult for me to have access to protein-filled foods three times a day. But good to you! If you do try it, I hope you find success with it!