+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is he going to propose??

Is he going to propose??

Hi everyone!

I have a feeling that my boyfriend is going to propose to me on Christmas day. I accidentally found out that my present from him is a ring, we’ve been together for nearly a year and are totally, madly in love with one another. I know that he’s planning on spending a fair amount on it but I keep thinking that I could be reading too much into it and maybe it’s just a ring and not an engagement ring as such. I’m so worried now because I would marry him in a heartbeat, so if he doesn’t propose I’ll feel a bit gutted! We always talk about the future and moving in together and getting married so it wouldn’t be a complete suprise, and he also wants my mum and dad to go shopping with him to choose it! All the signs are there! Does anybody have any thoughts?? I really want a guy’s opinion, I mean would you buy your girlfriend of nearly one year a ring which is only meant as a piece of jewellery and nothing more? Is that misleading?

Skye x

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think so... unless he is 12

BTW how'd you "accidentily" find out?

Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    I don't think so... unless he is 12

BTW how'd you "accidentily" find out?
    Oh, well basically he told me he was stressing out about my present and having enough money to buy it and so my parents said they'd put my 'present' on their credit card so he could pay them with his next paycheck to stop him worrying (we're both pretty skint right now!). Then when we were out shopping he accidentally said 'that's good new about the ring...' and then stopped mid sentence realising what he'd said! He asked me if I'd just heard what he'd said but I pretended to not be listening so as not to spoil the suprise, I didn't want him to know that I knew! :S He mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he was going to spend a couple of hundred on me...I'm so curious!! Why would you spend that kind of money on a ring for your GF if it's not an engagement ring?

Skye x

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Seriously stop worrying. Basically this is none of your business until he gives you whatever gift for whatever reason.

Seriously stop worrying. Basically this is none of your business until he gives you whatever gift for whatever reason.
    Um, yes it is my business, this is kind of our future here! And i'm not 'worrying' i'm gagging to know if the love of my life is planning on proposing to me on Christmas day, if he does my present to him is going to have to be pretty great because a proposal is hard to beat, haha

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Whatever. Your surprise is totally ruined.

Whatever. Your surprise is totally ruined.
    What's your problem? It wasn't my fault he accidentally told me! I really wouldn't bother commenting if you're going to be so unhelpful, you actually sound quite bitter.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Me bitter? Nope sorry Flossy. He just proposed at it was a total shock and I didn't go around asking if he was going to ask becasue I found a clue (if there was a clue)

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    One more thing to add:

Your gift giving is odd. Becasue you get something potentially THE ring you up your gift giving? Why don't you strive to give the best/ most meaniful "most awesome" gift anyways- without expecting "the ring".

Does it even really matter if it's promise or not? If you loooooooooove him, what's the diff?

Kind of agree with 68 here, you're really kind of ruining it by your rampant speculation. I get that you're excited but you need to take a deep breath, calm down, and realize you're being a bit like a kid hoping he got a video game for Christmas and looking under his parent's bed.

Maybe he knew what he was doing and is screwing with you for being eavesdroppy. Maybe it's a promise ring and he has no interest in getting married right now. Maybe he's an idiot when it comes to women (otherwise known as any man in the universe) and just got you a gem ring or something 'cuz he thinks you like rings, not realizing you'd freak out and think he was proposing.

Chill out!

Girl68, I admire your situation and excitement. The fact that you have a partner you would love to marry in a heartbeat! I think if he wants your parents to go shopping with him for the ring and intends to spend a fair amount of money on it he is likely to propose. It is puzzling to me how you are unsure, it seems like surprise engagements aren't really common anymore. Usually the man knows the answer before hand these days =) Congratulations. I hope it is a proposal and it works out well for both of you!