+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Need Some Advice ~ Mental Health

Need Some Advice ~ Mental Health

Hi There.

Ive got some problems and im looking for some advice.
    Ill try and make it short.

Basically i broke up with a girl i really really liked about a year ago. We only went out for little over a year. But the break up was quite hard on me. In fact it caused me to develop a mental illness, OCD and Depression. Granted the OCD might have been developing since i was about 14 but im pretty sure the break up pushed me over the edge (OCD went from like 0.5 to 10 over night). This was around September last year. Basically my life since then has been hell. But i have come really far in dealing with OCD and im not that depressed anymore. But i still don't feel like i used to before the break up. During the last year i still haven't really given up on her (somewhat but not completely).

Question is should i try and get her back? Im just afraid that if i let her go i will never feel like i did before and i will be suffering with mental illness the rest of my life. This is why i haven't moved on because i think shes the drug i need if you know i mean.
    Or should i move on with my life, find a replacement and forget about her and hope things will improve?

I'm just confused and stuck in a rut. Any advice would be a great help.

I simplified that a bit but you get the general idea.

Thanks.
    Last edited by polythene; 05-12-10 at 11:31 AM.

You don't even mention why you broke up with her in the first place.

Also, does your family have a history of mental illness?

You are not looking at this logically. She is not your answer to your present issues. You need therapy from a professional to help you work through why you are having these feelings and how to actually deal with them. I say work through your issues, get well and move forward to a new life. I know you have a lot on your plate right now, but with positive thinking and some hard work, you will be ready to find someone to be a part of your life and be in love once again.

Do you really want to be this dependant on her? On anything for that matter? If you try to get her back and succeed, do you honestly think your life will be good again, or do you realize you'll be living in fear every single day? Fear of breaking up again then.. that's no way of living. Also, this break-up was your trigger, if you wouldn't have been susceptible to mental illness (what kind of mental illness do you mean, one does not suddenly develop these things overnight) in the first place, you wouldn't have "developed" it. Hard break-ups happen to many, many people every single day.. and generally you get over it. The last thing I'd advice is getting back together with her, or for that matter anyone in the near future. You might risk replacing the old girl for the new, and attach yourself to the new girl the same way.. I'd recommend sorting yourself out first, a lot of therapy, work on yourself as a person, if you're not stable again it's no use starting a relationship.