+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you date a single parent?

Would you date a single parent?

As above, just wondering how many girls would date a guy with a young son from a previous relationship

Personally, I wouldn't. I don't want to have my own kids, so why would I want someone else's? I'm not trying to be mean
    I know plenty of cases in which women dated men that had kids from previous marriages/ relationships, so it really depends from woman to woman.

I'm a male and I dated and then lived with a woman with a daughter for a period of 8 years
    Currently I"m in a serious relationship with a woman who has 2 young kids. Fine by me.
    What could matter is:
    do you already have your own kids?
    Do you want kids with the person?
    Do you like kids as you might get to meet them?

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yep, i would.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by ammi00 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't. I don't want to have my own kids, so why would I want someone else's? I'm not trying to be mean
    I know plenty of cases in which women dated men that had kids from previous marriages/ relationships, so it really depends from woman to woman.
    Yup I wouldn't either and I'm the same way I have no interest in kids and never had any of my own. They say to wait til about the 3rd date to mention kids unless you were asked. I think it's more of a big deal to a young guy.....women of any age it's not always an issue because women are naturally nurturers, well except for me lol and maybe ammi00 there.

I would.

My ex had two sons.

Glad I'm not the only one! Phew!
    Dan2k7 - do you have your kid's custody?
    If I were you, to avoid any confusion and future drama, I'd mention about having a son, in a proper moment, during the first dates. That way you'll know for sure if those women still want to get involved AND you won't have to (let's say) hide the fact that you're having a son, get really involved with that woman and then fear all the time to tell her the truth.

To come back to the point a bit, I met my GF over the internet and before we met we talked a lot. She straight out asked me if it was a problem for me that she had two youngs kids. My own reply was 'not a problem for me - I also have kids'. I think you have to get these things out in the open pretty early.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't have custody of my son but neither does my ex really since we have him half the week each. I always would be honest from the start about my little boy, as people have said no point letting the relationship get serious for it to become a problem later down the line. Was just wanting to hear the general concensus, at least there are some who won't be put off by a child involved.

Ultimately if both partners want the relationship to work then they will find a way to. I wouldn't have any problem with dating a single parent. If I thought there was potential for a long term relationship leading to more then of course I would. If it was just something casual then I wouldn't.

I actually prefer to date someone with at least one young child, ideally a preschooler although my bf's kids are 8 and 10 and that is fine. I have 2 little kids of my own, and that changes things with regard to dating. I prefer someone who gets that. SO many basic assumptions about how dating will progress and where a guy I care for will rate in my priorities and just everything about the situation just changes when you are a parent. I am just figuring it out for myself, I prefer to not have to also teach someone else all about it AND have a whole extra thing to possibly cause conflict and miscommunication and hurt feelings right there at the start.

I started out not caring about marriage status or parent status. I went out with several guys and it became clear that a guy who has made it to 35 without ever marrying is unlikely to be on the same page as I am with regard to commitment and relationships. And no matter how much a guy may say it doesn't matter to him that I have kids, unless he has kids or at least has dated a mother seriously in the past, he has no clue what all that entails.

My ex won't date a woman with children, and prefers someone who has never been married, and he is currently with just such a young lady and she seems to be happy that he has kids. So obviously both approaches are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dan2k7 View Post
    As above, just wondering how many girls would date a guy with a young son from a previous relationship
    Kinda hard these days NOT to date someone that doesn't have kids. I personally don't want children & would prefer to not date a man that has young kids. *sigh* the way things are going with kids having kids etc, it's near on to impossible to not date someone that doesn't have a child or 2 from a previous relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovable View Post
    Kinda hard these days NOT to date someone that doesn't have kids. I personally don't want children & would prefer to not date a man that has young kids. *sigh* the way things are going with kids having kids etc, it's near on to impossible to not date someone that doesn't have a child or 2 from a previous relationship.
    There's over 307 million people living in your country......I'm sure there's plenty who don't have kids lol. Sometimes it's about demographics and economics....your chances might be better in a different city.

I'm a guy but will state my opinion on this. I would never date a single parent just because I'm scared **** of being a father.

Don't let what I said bring you down. I bet there are plenty of girls that would like, love you and cherish you if that's what you wish.

never. i hate all forms of baggage, especially the impish kind that run around and cause mischief.

i'm also too irresponsible for children, so it's just not for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast