+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Anything But Therapy

Anything But Therapy

A lot of times in advice columns or on forums such as these, when an individual has an emotional problem like trust issues, jealousy, low self-esteem, anxiety, etc, people respond by saying the person should get therapy.

My question is, is there an alternative to therapy??

I have a full time job with health insurance, but my insurance plan is best described as "expensive." I have a $2000 deductible, which means I have to pay for the first $2000 of a particular field of care (such as therapy), and after that, copay will kick in (the company pay 70%, I pay 30%.)

The average price for therapy I've found is about $100 a session. If you do the math, that's $400 a month, and after about 5 months, my deductible will kick in. What REALLY sucks about this is my plan starts over every year in August... which means I'll finally get to copay level in May, only to have two months of leeway before it starts all over again!

Additionally, I'm only making entry level pay, and between student loans and rent and other bills, I cannot trim enough to get even CLOSE to covering $400 a month.

Believe me, I want to. I believe very strongly I need therapy. I'm not a crazy by any means, but I've suffered from depression my whole life, and I can feel myself slowly slipping back into that black hole. I'd LOVE to get some help for my issues, but I have no idea how to make it work.

So are there any alternatives to therapy? I've tried self-help books, but if I read one more page of some white-toothed, thin, blond author telling me to "love myself" I WILL go stark raving mad.

Anyone else out there dealing with a similar issue? Have any bright advice?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well you could try to find a recent grad who is doing her practicum (much much cheaper) I pay 65 for a session. Or you can find counsellors (I believe that can be free) Or maybe there are some self help groups in your area that deal with issues like yours.

Try to find out more about your plan. There could be an alternative. I know when I first looked I saw 1 policy where you call in to some office and they refer you to some random counsellor. Then I read further into my policy and found out I get 500 per year for therapy. So is there any chance you overlooked something? 2000k decudtible sounds like a lot... contact HR- maybe they can suggset something?

Also seek other avenues outside of your insurance. You might qualify for some state healthcare programs or something. Quick googling lead me to this: [url=http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcplg?IdcService=GET_DYNAMIC_CONVERSION&RevisionS electionMethod=LatestReleased&dDocName=id_004949#]How do I get mental health services in Minnestoa?[/url]

Keep looking. It must be possible to find something free or low-cost.

I suggest seeking help from an NLP Coach or attending an NLP Practitioner course. Just make sure the coach/trainer is licensed by Richard Bandler, the co-creator of NLP.

Self help and hypnosis mp3's are good.

Have tried googling "Support Groups For_______________" and see what comes up? Maybe if you try to narrow down your particular issue in a google search you'll find like minded individuals wherein you can discuss together and work through as a team?

You might even try your local social services to see if you qualify for group therapy which is often cheaper than individual counceling.

What does your family doctor recommend? Sometimes starting with your family physician is the best route to take because they have the connections you need for the resources that may be able to help you.

Good luck.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

i think talking out what the problem is or could be with friends or family is one of your best bets. try some free theropy, good old mom or a good female friend could sit ta down and really help out. knowing that the issuse is really and why its making you do a certain action might make ya more aware of things down the road.

ive seen people in therooy for years and ya know the still complain about the same issues year after year to me...but nothing changes.

Does your health insurance coverage include an Employee Assistance Program? That's a great benefit that a lot of people overlook even though they have access to it. The EAP coverage is usually free, and includes a crisis hotline, short-term counselling services, and sometimes access to expert advice in a variety of areas. The EAP plan provided by the small company that I work for covers things like financial or legal concerns, coping with aging parents, substance abuse, even relationship advice. I admit that I haven't used that service yet, but it's good to know that it's an option if I need it.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.