+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My boyfriend never complments me

My boyfriend never complments me

its not like he tells im ugly or anything. and we've been dating 7 months and he never has And when I fish for complements (and I don't do this very often cause its annoying and I hate people who do it ) and I say im not as pretty as so and so hes like "yeah whatever" and he had said before that he would never date an ugly girl but then why does he never tell me im pretty? and im 99.999% sure hes not cheating and he tells his moms dog shes pretty all the time His mom even called him out on it twice once a few months a god and then on his birthday she asked him if he ever complemented me and he said "yeah...every once in a while" so he knows hes not doing it. I guess i came from a relationship that i was complemented at the time and it got annoying. Im a confident girl and I dont need to hear that i am the most beautiful girl in the world three times a day or even once a day but once a week would be nice cause its nice to hear these things. So what could his reasoning be for not complmenting me and how do i tell him I wanna hear something nice about myself every once in a while without sounding nuts or bitchy?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I dated a guy like this. His reason was simply: you should know. My respnse was typically: I do know you don't date ugly chicks but that doesn't cut it. After 5 years of his pathetic compliments (in 5 years I got preciesely 4 compliments- I remmeber each word for word) I left for a man who wasn't afraid to tell me what he thought of me. Oh and he complimented his lady friends often, and right in front of me.

He just never "got it" so I dumped him, maybe he needs to learn the hard way.

Maybe he's afraid you will stop liking him and thinks it makes him look vulnerable? I dont know but it sounds like he wants to be like the strong cool dude who's never bothered by anything?

Maybe ask him what he likes about you, then if he avoids your looks, ask him what's his favorite part of your body.

In the end your looks don't really matter, only his love for you and don't forget to love yourself

i think most of the guys have this issue, they really don't understand that ladies have this need of complements
    he probably just don't think about it.

maybe if someone will teach him this fact... he have a sister ? or good friend you can trust ? you can make them talk to him
    Meshulam.

Always remember - relationships are hard work !
    Check out my blog at http://thepromall.com/blog/

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    See now I attempted to tell my ex all this his response never changed it was still: "you should know". As if it was MY fault for wanting my lover to speak a peep about something he adores about me. Nadda.

And if you ask you're a nag BTW. Which I disagree with but that's how it's interpreted.

I know I sometimes feel.. nagged for compliments.
    Women don't like telling men something over and over, I don't really like saying the same thing over and over either. (YES I KNOW, MIX IT UP)
    I try to compliment when it strikes me, but in a sense, I've bombed so many attempts that it really does feel like a pointless effort at times.

Hey, honestly now, where does this leave some of the women feeling?

You know I really appreciate you and everything you do.

On another side note, I learned what a promise ring was the hard way.
    I gave her a ring one valentines on a whine glass, and she got all glossy eyed asking what I was, and I panicked (not knowing what to call it), I said it was a non-specific ring.
    In my defense, it's probably a fairly unique ring... (in name anyways)
    Green!

try complimenting him more often and maybe he will realize he should do it back?

He sounds like an idiot not to realise how important compliments are - in both directions. Perhaps he just doesn't care.

Oh I complemnt him, when I text him some times i say 'hey handsome' but does he take the him to text me 'hey beautiful' no!

Quote Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
    Oh I complemnt him, when I text him some times i say 'hey handsome' but does he take the him to text me 'hey beautiful' no!
    Then he is a complete idiot and does not deserve to have a GF. I complement my GF because that's how it is if you really care for someone.

Alot of men have different ways of viewing things maybe he feels he is so why dont you compliment him more bees with honey see if it works
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

I would shower my girl with compliments every day and every night. You need to be respected

HopelessRomance, your statement rocks.

fishing for compliments is annoying and girls who are lacking confidence tend to do it. don't you see how unattractive it is? if you were just comfortable with yourself and had confidence, his compliments would come naturally. otherwise, if you're always seeking for his attention, you probably wont get anything more than a few ungenuine words of appeasement. no, i dont think "you are just supposed to know" is an appropriate response either, unless you were being really needy and fishing for compliments. that is guy talk for "you need more confidence because your behavior is really unattractive"

besides you ladies know that men tend to express their feelings through actions. holding a door open and an occasional peck on the lips translates to "i love you and i think you are ****ing amazing" right?

and relationships tend to get stale after a while anyway. maybe it's time to move on?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by cuttingcrew View Post
    if you were just comfortable with yourself and had confidence, his compliments would come naturally.

I disagree completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast