+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Meeting his family for the first time- HELP!

Meeting his family for the first time- HELP!

Hi all,

Have been with my boyfriend for just over a month and am babysitting his 15 month old niece with him Friday night at his Sister's house. I will meet his sister and brother in law which doesnt really bother me, it's meeting the baby i'm worrying about! I'm not very good with babies, they always tend to cry when i'm around or just stare at me constantly no matter what i say or do. Has anyone got any advice on what i could say or do when i meet her? I'm having visions of her crying all night because she won't like me etc.. thanks in advance for any replies

I'm not good with babies either. If the baby fusses, just jokingly say you are not good with babies, but this could be a great opportunity to get some practise in for when you have your own.

Babies are often unhappy around people who aren't comfortable around babies, because they sense the stress but don't understand it, so they feel unsafe. People who are uncomfortable around babies are often more at ease if they have a gameplan, so if I were you I would plan a break-the-ice activity with baby. Maybe take a container of bubbles and blow bubbles for her to pop? Maybe take some sock puppets and put on a show? Maybe carry a compact mirror to show her? Or wear a scarf and play peekaboo? Silly songs may also work. Or having her show you her favorite toys.

The baby is 15 months old. I would definitely ask if she freaks out when with strangers. She will be likely at the age where they typically go through the stage where she will likely freak out from being placed in the care of strangers.
    Hope she is comfortable with your boyfriend, and see if you can get her to 'trust' you by distracting her with enough with a toy so she doesn't care that she is with strangers. I like the bubble idea, but lots of babies have light allergies to detergents. try Looking online for babysitting tactics.