+ Follow This Topic

Thread: strange online contact

strange online contact

First of all let me preface this with the fact that I am a 22yo male, but I do not particularly consider myself a naive person nor naive internet user. I am fully aware of the danger that online relationships with strangers can pose. But I know that we all get fooled in these matters at some time or another.

Now anyway a couple months back I got a message on Facebook from another user that basically looked like a piece of spam from an unknown 26 year old female user. It basically described herself and how she was looking for a long term relationship and gave her IM contact. I sent a reply basically saying that her account might have been hacked, since I cannot think of a reason somebody would want to solicit a random stranger in that way except if they are up to no good. Other than that I didn't think much of it until recently when I decided to IM this person out of curiosity. Maybe this was a mistake.

I IM her, and immediately she starts typing out her biography. Her mother is dead, then transferred to and was raised by aunt, later who died of cancer. Says she is an American in Nigeria working a nurse addressing AIDs/HIV, and has another year before she returns. Soon she starts telling me how she loves me and when her term is up she wants to relocate to where I am and marry me. I'm not kidding!! All of this comes from a total of maybe less than 2hrs total online contact! She claims that it was love at first sight, and I guess it must have been, since all she could have seen at the time on Facebook was my profile picture! Now I must add that while I do not consider myself ugly, I have NEVER felt that I was particularly good-looking and am in fact generally self-conscious about my appearance.

I do not react to any of this strange behavior. I'm not an asshole, but I promise nothing and I tell her up front that I don't trust people I meet online in the way that she apparently totally "trusts" me. Basically I was trying to find out what her game was.

So I look around her Facebook page. There's not much there at all, but almost all her friends at least appear to be African. He has what I can only assume to be pictures of herself on there too, and they are all basically glamor shots. She is honestly pretty, assuming it's actually her.

So today more in this vein. She is never on for more than about an hour, and only every few days. Her computer appears to disconnect every 30 minutes or so. She sends to me ("because she loves me") a couple of what are basically slutty pictures of her (I assume her!!) . Not nude, but clearly glamor shots bringing attention to her body. I must add that she has not asked any questions about myself. I could be an axe murderer for all she knows.

So these were my initial thoughts:
    1) she's actually a man, or some kind of predator in general
    2) she's trying to play some kind of nasty game, and possibly with more than one person
    3) her story is true, but she's got some kind of personality disorder or emotional problem

At this point I should also mention that I'm wanting to be in a relationship. Not desperate exactly, but I am serious in my effort. So I guess that the only reason I'm even talking to her at this point is because I believe that (3) is at least semi-plausible.

Any thoughts in general? Should I just totally disengage and run for the hills???!
    Last edited by applefat; 04-01-11 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by applefat View Post
    First of all let me preface this with the fact that I am a 22yo male, but I do not particularly consider myself a naive person nor naive internet user. I am fully aware of the danger that online relationships with strangers can pose. But I know that we all get fooled in these matters at some time or another.
    Fair enough.

Now anyway a couple months back I got a message on Facebook from another user that basically looked like a piece of spam from an unknown 26 year old female user. It basically described herself and how she was looking for a long term relationship and gave her IM contact. I sent a reply basically saying that her account might have been hacked, since I cannot think of a reason somebody would want to solicit a random stranger in that way except if they are up to no good. Other than that I didn't think much of it until recently when I decided to IM this person out of curiosity. Maybe this was a mistake.
    Okay, so a random girl sent you a message saying that she wants a long-term relationship. Perhaps, you will explain the situation further in the following paragraphs.

I IM her, and immediately she starts typing out her biography. Her mother is dead, then transferred to and was raised by aunt, later who died of cancer. Says she is an American in Nigeria working a nurse addressing AIDs/HIV, and has another year before she returns. Soon she starts telling me how she loves me and when her term is up she wants to relocate to where I am and marry me. I'm not kidding!! All of this comes from a total of maybe less than 2hrs total online contact! She claims that it was love at first sight, and I guess it must have been, since all she could have seen at the time on Facebook was my profile picture! Now I must add that while I do not consider myself ugly, I have NEVER felt that I was particularly good-looking and am in fact generally self-conscious about my appearance.
    You greeted her online via IM and she immediately started typing out her biography? She's in Nigeria and you are in the United States. You haven't even met her and she says she wants to marry you. Everything she knows about you is from your facebook profile I'm guessing.

Also, you are saying that you have self-esteem issues. I'm guessing this is linked to why you have been spending so much time thinking about this.

So, you're basically saying that you are thinking about some girl who wants to marry you from Nigeria that has only talked to you maybe once or twice on Facebook. Come on dude, seriously? This isn't an obvious red flag situation for you?

I do not react to any of this strange behavior. I'm not an asshole, but I promise nothing and I tell her up front that I don't trust people I meet online in the way that she apparently totally "trusts" me. Basically I was trying to find out what her game was.
    Good. Not trusting people you meet online has nothing to do with being an asshole. You're just being safe especially when someone emails you on facebook from another country saying they want to marry you.

So I look around her Facebook page. There's not much there at all, but almost all her friends at least appear to be African. He has what I can only assume to be pictures of herself on there too, and they are all basically glamor shots. She is honestly pretty, assuming it's actually her.
    How can you be sure that that is actually her? Ok, so she looks pretty, big deal. I get the point that you think she looks pretty. You know nothing about this person. It could be a dude for all you know.

So today more in this vein. She is never on for more than about an hour, and only every few days. Her computer appears to disconnect every 30 minutes or so. She sends to me ("because she loves me") a couple of what are basically slutty pictures of her (I assume her!!) . Not nude, but clearly glamor shots bringing attention to her body.
    I'm concerned that you are putting this much effort into thinking about this. I really fear that you will end up meeting this sketchy person. Have you heard of the Craigslist killer? I suggest you read about it.

So these were my initial thoughts:
    1) she's actually a man, or some kind of predator in general
    2) she's trying to play some kind of nasty game, and possibly with more than one person
    3) her story is true, but she's got some kind of personality disorder or emotional problem
    1) Yes, there is a good chance that she could be a man or not be who she claims to be.
    2) Yes, probably. Maybe, she is serial killer or is a craiglists-killer-wannabe.
    3) Yes, she probably is nuts. I mean she wants to marry you before she even met you.

At this point I should also mention that I'm wanting to be in a relationship. Not desperate exactly, but I am serious in my effort. So I guess that the only reason I'm even talking to her at this point is because I believe that (3) is at least semi-plausible.
    Wow, you are way too trusting. I fear for your safety. I really do. For spending so much time thinking about this, you really don't have a clue.

Any thoughts in general? Should I just totally disengage and run for the hills???!
    Honestly, I'm worried about you. I'm worried about you because I fear that you will be preyed upon by many women. I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but you could have thought this through a little better.

To answer your second question, YES, RUN FOR THE HILLS AND DON'T I MEAN DON'T LOOK BACK! In the future, please, don't be this naive.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

So you're hoping you will luck out and end up with an attractive woman who has extreme mental problems? Start up an online dating profile, find a place nearby you can go and meet women and get out there, because if you allow yourself to get hooked by this obvious scammer then you really are desperate.

It's a scam. Not even a clever one. C'mon dude.

Alight guys, fair enough. I've already blocked the person on Facebook and removed the messenger, it wasn't my main account anyway.

I realize that it isn't nice to disparage an entire nation, but Nigeria is notorious for internet scams, especially the notorious "Nigerian gentleman" scam.

IIRC, Nigeria doesn't have an extradition treaty with the U.S., which may account for the number of Nigerian scams aimed at Americans.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    I realize that it isn't nice to disparage an entire nation, but Nigeria is notorious for internet scams, especially the notorious "Nigerian gentleman" scam.

IIRC, Nigeria doesn't have an extradition treaty with the U.S., which may account for the number of Nigerian scams aimed at Americans.
    Yes, especially the Nigerian lottery scam. I haven't forgotten about that one. My yahoo email gets nothing but those spams about me winning some foreign lottery. What a load of BS! Needless to say I don't use that email anymore.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Honestly....no offence but are you stupid?

She's playing you, BIG TIME.

Probably after a visa into your country

Its a game trust me dont believe it ive had random emails where rich uncle passed left them money yadda yadda would i send them money so they can get uncles money then we can split the money from uncle dont trust it lots of lies online
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

alot of the scams seem to come from nigeria very poor country
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

I think everyone has said it all. But I do want to make a quick point about you saying you are wanting to be in a relationship. This type of thinking tends to do the exact opposite of what you hope will happen. Just relax, meet lots of people, have fun in your life and relationships will find their way in to you. You don't need to go looking for them.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

I agree with the rest of the people that have told you it's a scam. It's proven that many scams come from Nigeria, it's sad because I'm sure there are some good people that are looking for friendship/love, but get pushed to the side because of scam artists like this 1 you talked to.

Good for you that you blocked her & won't be talking to her anymore!

:|
    and you said you weren't naive?

dude, seriously.
    i wouldn't tell your mates about this. you'd get laughed out of the room!

I think people act strangely when they are desperate to find love. I remember when I was still in college, I was suffering from a breakup with this girl that cheated on me. The details about the cheating are meaningless for this topic. One day, I decided to get on a yahoo chatroom that was for single adults. I enter the room and start chatting with random girls. This one girl expressed interest in me and she lived in Texas where as I lived in Pennsylvania. Needless to say, in my desperation, I fell for her without even meeting her. I was even willing to travel to Texas to see her.

Desperation does weird things to people. I think it causes people not to think straight.

Yep! Scam! Happens on FB all the time, especially to guys.. guess they are the easiest victims, lol