+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Spends too much on stupid things

Spends too much on stupid things

I have been with my bf for 4 years and he has recently been spending way too much on yugioh cards (you know the CHILDRENS card game that's got a stupid cartoon to go with it) I knew that he had been spending maybe $14 a fortnight on them before but now that he's seen me buying things off eBay he's spending $60-80 on packs of them in one go. It's ridiculous. We've gotten into some serious fights about them almost ending our relationship. He says I've taken away everything he enjoys doing and hes not going to let me take this but I've only stopped 3 of his bad habits/hobbies. he doesn't want to find any other hobbies and doesn't understand my point of view. All he sees is my trying to take away something he likes. He's spent/planning to spend $300 on them within 3 months it's so sad. I wish he could grow up and not spend so much on stupid pieces of cardboard. Guys is there something I'm not seeing? How can I make him give it up? He treats it like his everything. Plus he plays the psp game version of it soo much

Is he just collecting them or is he actually playing Yu-gi-oh? People collect all kinds of things (remember beanie babies?), but I can't see why anybody over the age of 12 or so would want to play Yu-Gi-Oh. And if he's just playing against kids, he shouldn't need to spend that much to stay competitive with them. Now if he was a serious player of something like Magic, where they have official tournaments with cash prizes, that might be more understandable. Or even a dead game like Jyhad, which at least has a rich setting and presents complex challenges. Yu-Gi-Oh? No.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

oh my god, your description describes how i was as a boyfriend all those years ago with a girl i've dated long term, and yea it involved yugioh as well.

The reason why he's spending so much is because it IS very competitive, those freaking pieces of cardboard can go from a mere 1 dollar to 500-1000 dollars EASILY, the game ALWAYS changes and the prices in cards go up and down, it's almost like it's own stock market and i used to know people that make a living off of this very game(dead serious too), its MUCH moreso then meets the eye, and ALOT of people especially around brooklyn NY, houston TX and other places have a strong playerbase.

Onto him though, he sounds like the kind of guy that's really into the scene, and he wants to share it with you. My experience was that i actually BROUGHT my gf to these events and she didnt like them at first(little kids and grown nerds, it was even hard convincing her to start going) she came to like it because there are people who are pretty decent and cool about girls there, plus i used to be pretty good and made ALOT and man i mean ALOT of money lol and i was funny while in serious games to keep it entertaining lol this one guy i used to know made so much money off the game, he bought himself a freaking mustang! it's unbelievable...you can probably even tell how much money affects the game by how much he spends, as a matter of fact, 300 per 3 months is NOWHERE NEAR as much money as people(including myself) have spent every week...

It's not all perfect though. As you can see, what i mostly mean by him "really into the scene" is that he's addicted, like many people are. that card game has been known to keep people playing even though they want to quit spending ALL their money on pieces of cardboard, they just can't stop playing the game, it's a little bit like WoW only it's ALOT more economical. You basically have 2 choices with his addiction- 1. You can tell him to stop spending so much damn money/time on the game(make a POINT it's NOT necesary to enjoy it, or find ways to get what he wants through a job, other people, without so much money cause there ARE other ways, he's getting scammed on ebay anyway), you can also put him on the spot and ask him "What's more important to you, me or the game???" my ex gf said that to me and i felt very guilty about it so i made sure to spend more time with her afterwards...or 2. You can just embrace his hobby and his money habits, and this OBVIOUSLY would make him happy.

about him giving it up completely?? Holy shit, that is very difficult for someone in his state right now. It took me about a year edging myself away from it, i sold EVERYTHING away(made quite a bit of money too) and matured and just put it out of my mind, it made my gf at the time very happy i got over it, and id much rather have money>cards anyday, but yeah...it's really not that easy....

hope i helped

Not to intrude, but what were his "3 bad habits/hobbies" that you stopped?

I'm a female, but everyone collects something or has a hobby. Why isn't he allowed his? My ex, for example(a male) designed clothes and no, he wasn't gay. Should I have told him to stop? I don't think so. He spent so much money I'm sure and it was different, but certainly fine. You should be glad he's not using that money for something worse. But it does depend on whether or not he's playing the game. If he's playing the game, that's a bit odd I guess, but everyone has their hobbies. I'm sure you have some of your own that he doesn't like, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mahouyuki View Post
    I have been with my bf for 4 years and he has recently been spending way too much on yugioh cards (you know the CHILDRENS card game that's got a stupid cartoon to go with it) I knew that he had been spending maybe $14 a fortnight on them before but now that he's seen me buying things off eBay he's spending $60-80 on packs of them in one go. It's ridiculous. We've gotten into some serious fights about them almost ending our relationship. He says I've taken away everything he enjoys doing and hes not going to let me take this but I've only stopped 3 of his bad habits/hobbies. he doesn't want to find any other hobbies and doesn't understand my point of view. All he sees is my trying to take away something he likes. He's spent/planning to spend $300 on them within 3 months it's so sad. I wish he could grow up and not spend so much on stupid pieces of cardboard. Guys is there something I'm not seeing? How can I make him give it up? He treats it like his everything. Plus he plays the psp game version of it soo much
    Well, you're a hyper-controlling little bitch, aren't you?

Who the hell do you think you are, stopping his "bad habits/hobbies"? What the **** makes you think monitoring HIS spending and harassing him about it is ok? If you don't like it, either leave or live with it. He's more than right about you not taking away one more thing that he likes... even if it is silly and childish.

I think it's disgusting when a partner stops their other half from doing something they enjoy provided it is not harmful to them or the relationship. If he's using his own money to buy the cards, then you have absilutely no place trying to stop him. Thank god it's a nice a hobby and not some of the more shocking things people get up to in their spare time.

I've played Magic with my friends till 20, I left the game some years ago because I lacked the time to play, I never spent much money on it though it was a hobby which I enjoyed and probably would feel very frustated if someone I love tried to take that away from me.
    How would you feel if he tried to forbid you from something you really enjoy?
    Magic is understandable a lot of adults play it for fun, yu-gi-oh is for the little ones. He may have grown addict for it, I see no harm.
    "E ao imenso e possível oceano
    Ensinam estas Quinas, que aqui vês,
    Que o mar com fim será grego ou romano:
    O mar sem fim é português."