+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do i convince my girlfriend to support my decision to join the marine corps?

How do i convince my girlfriend to support my decision to join the marine corps?

i have dreamed of being a marine since i was 5 years old and have recently been talking with my girlfriend about my dream of joining the marines, and she says if i join then shes not sure if she would stay with me. im 17 and i plan to go to ocs while im in college, so after college ill be an officer. i have tried to convince her to support me, but she still says that she is unsure. she says that she doesn't want to live for long periods alone and shes afraid that i might get killed, which is understandable, but i know the risks and i still want to join. i have told her about some of the benefits, and as an officer i would be getting good pay, but im not sure of what else i could say to convince her. i really want to stay in a relationship with her but i also want to fulfill my dream of becoming a marine.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    YOu are going to have to choose. That's really all there is to it. She has a right to decide what kind of life she wants to have.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Yes you will be gone A LOT. Especially in these times, and with with size of the armed forces drawing down. And especially in the first couple of years while they are training you all up.

If this is what you want, you will need to pick a spouse wisely. Someone is is independent, loyal, and supportive. And when you are home, you need to treat her right to make up for the fact you take off all of the time. And maybe someday if you do settle down and need more time at home, you can do the reserves.

I don't mean to make your current relationship sound trifle, but these are my thoughts.

A couple of years from now, no matter what career path you take, the chances are your girlfriend will not be there. You are 17, on your way to college, and as you mature things you want in a relationship will change. Don't give up a life long dream for a highschool relationship that has lasted.....what?.....perhaps a mere year?

I agree with Reeba, at such a young age without more serious committments i.e children or a house together I wouldn't give up on my dream for my spouse. I was in a similar boat to you not too long back. I wanted to join the territorial army which is part time in the UK, but my ex partner didn't approve so I didn't go through with it. 2 months down the line she went off with someone in the forces even though we have a 2 year old son together. Now I am single I have booked an interview to join.

How are you going to get into college, if you're still writing like that at 17?

Here's the deal with your girlfriend - you don't convince her. It doesn't matter. You're 17, and she is almost certain to not be around 4 or 5 years from now when you graduate and go on to OCS. Even if you don't find a girl in the meantime that likes Marine Officers, you'll find one after OCS that does - guaranteed.

This is the situation my boyfriend was in with his ex. He was your age and did not go into the army for her, they stayed together for a few years but then ended up splitting up because she cheated. They were both young and he gave up his dream for her and it did not even work out. At your age you should not give up a dream for a girl. You hear people say put education before your boyfriend/girlfriend, its the same if you have a dream.

@HeartIsAching, i actually qualify for honors courses in both reading and writing in college, but that doesn't matter, i just need some good advice and nothing about my writing skills.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylegs View Post
    @HeartIsAching, i actually qualify for honors courses in both reading and writing in college, but that doesn't matter, i just need some good advice and nothing about my writing skills.
    Alright, my apologies.

Sorry, it's just a personal peeve of mine. Texting has ruined writing IMNSHO.

More power to ya

OK, let me tell you 2 stories. 1. A young man about your age, 18, was in love and engaged. He also wanted to go to West Point, and had been accepted. This is no small task. She said she wouldn't wait for him and he gave it up and went to a local podunk college instead, gave up on the military thing entirely. Within 6 months they were broken up. Now, 20 years later he regrets it every day. He has had a good liife, accomplished a lot, is happy. But he regrets it and wonders what might have been, because giving up on a lifelog dream is like that.

2. A young man a bit older, went off to do a summer job during college. It was a dream career for him, highly specialized and would have required him moving from his home state across the country. He showed promise in his internship and they wanted him to relocate. His girlfriend convinced him to give it up, then convinced him to move across the country to HER home town instead. They split a few years later, but whether they stayed together or not I am sure that regret would remain just as it does with them not together. He loves his alternate career, but he gave up a dream for love and that sort of thing hurts forever after.