+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Language or lack of?

My theory is it has to do with younger people never learning to type on a typewriter. Writing on a word processor has made it much easier to be lazy. Also there's a lot of tools like spell check so you don't have to go through the process of looking up correct spelling for a word.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    My theory is it has to do with younger people never learning to type on a typewriter. Writing on a word processor has made it much easier to be lazy. Also there's a lot of tools like spell check so you don't have to go through the process of looking up correct spelling for a word.
    I use the spell checker all the time, that's the main reason I don't usually make spelling mistakes... so I have to disagree :-P

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by the_robot View Post
    Can somebody explain me why the adds on this thread are about scientology? That should be illegal.
    I don't see them here. But I remember, I saw them in Spain. Maybe it's some propaganda for Spaniards to join Scientologists . But yeah , they are illegal here
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    I don't see them here. But I remember, I saw them in Spain. Maybe it's some propaganda for Spaniards to join Scientologists . But yeah , they are illegal here
    oh great, I'm blessed with ads attempting to sell stupidity.

EDIT: LOOOOOL! I Just saw the connection threads-ads.

Well, anyway...

The one thing that I despise about the English language is the spelling. I absolutely despise it! Loan words are always assimilated to English spelling and then all kinds of changes are made and then it gradually becomes really difficult to realize a word's origin. Furthermore, the spelling rules are very inconsistent and I think this has an effect on literacy and comprehension.

Someday, I will probably propose that a modified alphabet be taught in schools to replace the horrendous use of Latin that I think is to blame for all of this. More specifically, I think [þ] and [ð] should replace "th", and [ƿ] should replace "w". A couple of letters should simply disappear for being unnecessary and a few spelling rules should be changed for sake of consistency. Just think of life if spelling was more logical...

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Well, anyway...

The one thing that I despise about the English language is the spelling. I absolutely despise it! Loan words are always assimilated to English spelling and then all kinds of changes are made and then it gradually becomes really difficult to realize a word's origin. Furthermore, the spelling rules are very inconsistent and I think this has an effect on literacy and comprehension.

Someday, I will probably propose that a modified alphabet be taught in schools to replace the horrendous use of Latin that I think is to blame for all of this. More specifically, I think [þ] and [ð] should replace "th", and [ƿ] should replace "w". A couple of letters should simply disappear for being unnecessary and a few spelling rules should be changed for sake of consistency. Just think of life if spelling was more logical...
    I think, second to the cucumber post, this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say—and, using the transitive property—the second dumbest thing I've heard in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelmakemelol View Post
    I think, second to the cucumber post, this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say—and, using the transitive property—the second dumbest thing I've heard in my life.
    How sweet, Dopp is making a mark in your life...

You may call it dumb without reason if you like, but if you want to argue with me, I have pages upon pages and books upon books about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    You may call it dumb without reason if you like, but if you want to argue with me, I have pages upon pages and books upon books about this stuff.
    I was laughing at the irony of your criticism of the English language's lack of standards while using run-ons and bastardizations of words.

I was laughing at the irony of your criticism of the English language's lack of standards while using run-ons and bastardizations of words.
    1. Nowhere in my post do I even use the word "standard". I was referring to spelling inconsistencies.
    2. I did not use run-on sentences. Check the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-on_sentence"]Wikipedia page[/URL] for examples of what run-on sentences really are.
    3. I didn't know 'laughing' was synonymous with ridicule. Isn't that bastardization?

Now I will laugh at your (lack of) reading comprehension. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by the_robot View Post
    I use the spell checker all the time, that's the main reason I don't usually make spelling mistakes... so I have to disagree :-P
    and by disagree you mean agree.

and by disagree you mean agree.
    No I don't, don't you try to confuse me! The thing is, I used to make a lot more of spelling errors before I started using spell-checkers, since I started using them, I have fixed a lot of spelling errors I didn't know I used to make.

robot do i need to repeat what i said in espaniol?

I don't know. You are confusing me.

You speak Mexican. There's a huge difference.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast