+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Personality Types

Personality Types

Hello all! I have a question for you guys....

My brother thinks I'm crazy because I like to work. I got a full-ride scholarship from college and my mother passed away when I was young, so she also left us some money for college. When I'm in college I don't work a lot (maybe like 4 hours a week tutoring), but when I'm not in college, I get incredibly bored with myself if I'm not working!

Don't get me wrong; I love to do other things as well. I have a lot of hobbies: playing guitar, singing, drawing, reading, etc. But I feel like I"m more productive when I have a part-time job. I'm more motivated to continue my hobbies when I get to have a break from them with working. Even with my hobbies, I think, "Would there be a way to take this to the next step and make a business out of it? Maybe I could sell paintings or something..." I just get very restless with myself when I'm not doing something productive or when I don't have a goal in front of me. I love to strive towards goals.

I know this sounds silly, but I think I also like working because I don't want to turn into one of those people that says, "Oh, well I have money now. I can be lazy." I also don't think I would be happy not working. I'm like one of those people that would never completely retire haha (But give me 30 years and I might change my mind!)

However, I know a classmate at college who is the exact OPPOSITE of me. She hates to work but really needs to because she has a lot of college loans to pay off. She says that she'll get a job but she doesn't really look for them. I told her, "Oh, this one place at college is hiring! You could go there!" but she never did. If I were her I would have looked into every option at working on campus but I don't think she ever even asked them about the job offer.

She hates school as well and always arrived at class late. She's taking a semester "off" to work...before she complained about not knowing what to major in, and I recommended taking some interest tests. But she never did. It's like she has all of these options in front of her but she refuses to take steps to reach her goals. I'm not really sure if she even has goals.

I don't think she has any hobbies either. I think in the spare time she just spends time with her boyfriend or her friends or watches TV. I love spending time with my friends too, but I need something else to keep me going. She loved winter break because she could do absolutely nothing for 5 weeks, but I often found myself restless (I didn't work) even though I read a lot.

My question is: am I weird for being like this? I think if I lived her life I would get bored in about two seconds. Do you any of you share a personality type like mine or even like hers? I would just like to know what you all think about this

(1) Who gives a shite what your brother thinks about what YOU chose to do? If he'd like to get a job and support you, and all of your expenses then he may have a *say* if not? It's your life.
    (2) Your opinion isn't "silly." It is your reasoning for keeping busy and for whatever else reasons you deem prudent.
    (3) You cannot control what people DO or SAY -ever- Your classmate likes to complain (which is her right) but it isn't your place to get disappointed when your advice isn't taken or met with praise.

Some people are lazy, lack self motivation and love to bitch, moan and complain. YET when provided with the solution: they do not follow through. Why? Her choice.
    It's her business and there is nothing you can do about it. If you are very into people and wanting to plan their futures why not become a counselor? Kill two birds with one stone.
    Otherwise don't invest yourself into people when they have their own life to live -regardless if you know what you think is best for them.

No you aren't weird....I'm very siimilar to you actually. I have to be doing something and kept busy always, if I'm not I get restless and bored.
    Like you I have many hobbies and I did go on and to turn a hobby into a small business ...and I'm constantly looking at other things to do or that I could do, despite what I'm doing now, lol.

Like you, I've tried to help people, put myself out for them and so they can achieve.Like for instance one friend who dreamed of his business, talked about it and I offered to set him up, etc, etc. But he lacked motivation and didn't see it through and in the end I told him 'Look, you are all talk, no action!!!'. If he wants to sit around 'dreaming' let him get on with it. We can't help people, who don't particularly want to help themselves.
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 16-01-11 at 06:18 AM.

Huh, so it isn't just PP.

Does everyone else from Poland masturbate to forum smileys?

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    There were only 3 in the whole post
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I love smileys ;D

^Though I prefer this kind

Chiquita, I'm exactly like you as well; and I also know people who are the opposite and they do tend to be complainers and generally less happy people. It's sad but it seems that they don't want to help themselves and I think the root cause lies in laziness.

It was back in high school so I don't remember the name of the model, but I recall that some psychologist set up this pyramid that was supposed to represent the elements necessary for happiness in humans and while there were the basic needs (food, shelter, love) at the bottom of the pyramid, self realization was one of the elements. If we are being lazy and basically not doing anything with our lives I think this is where we are not doing anything to fulfill this need for ultimate happiness. It certainly brings me down a bit when I'm not keeping busy in something "useful" or somehow beneficial. While, on the other hand, I keep super busy (as is usually the case for me as well), I'm at my happiest. Even if you're just working working working, at least you know that you are making money so that when you have a great idea, you'll have the funds to put it to good use!

Not weird at all, you are on the right path, if you ask me .

That said..variety is the spice of life, so if there did not exist lazy people, we'd have no basis of comparison.