+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is it over-exfoliation?

sadie_genie Guest

Is it over-exfoliation?

I have been using a cleansing brush everyday for the past few weeks because I feel like my skin has become more glowy and soft because of the exfoliation. But then just a few days ago, my face has become noticeably redder and dryer. And at night, it itch like crazy. Could it be the over-exfoliation or I got burned? I never got a sunburn in my life but I have also never exfoliated this much until now. Or, can it be a skincare product irritation? I tried out a new mask lately. I stopped the mask and the exfoliation completely. The itch lasted for a few days but now, my face is less itchy, sometimes just a bit tingly. But my face is still red all over. Help please.
    Last edited by sadie_genie; 18-01-11 at 08:36 AM.

just give it a few days and it will probably heal.

I'd say it was maybe a combination of both the exfoliation and the mask.

And I'm unsure how you'd get rid of the redness.

Perhaps a soothing cream.

You're not supposed to exfoliate daily, it's too rough on your skin. You're using a good moisturizer, right?

sadie_genie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryH View Post
    You're not supposed to exfoliate daily, it's too rough on your skin. You're using a good moisturizer, right?
    I used to exfoliate daily very gently and my skin was fine. I am using a light moisturizer because I don't want to clog my pores.

update: my skin didn't itch last night but this morning when I woke up, my skin was flaky and dry. This is scary to me because my skin is usually more on the oily side.

Hm. I would risk a couple of clogged pores to do some heavy moisturizing, if I were in your shoes. Look for moisturizers that are noncomedogenic. I think Vaseline is one, and it's cheap and you might already have some in your house. Maybe an aloe vera gel?

My skin got really dry and flaky this winter and someone mentioned using olive oil on my face, and because I'm highly suggestible, I tried it for a couple of days. It actually worked pretty nicely for me, but I don't have a huge problem with clogged pores - I'm not even sure if olive oil would do that. After washing your face at night, just rub a couple of drops of oil into your palms and apply a light coat to your face. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.

And about washing your face, for now, don't use anything that's made to prevent acne. Those contain alcohols, benzoil peroxide, etc and that's just going to dry you out more. I started using Cetaphil cleanser and I really, really like it a lot.

Hope it clears up. I hate when I have dry skin. I feel your pain.

Just read the recommendations for the product you're using. Exfoliating usually says like three times a week, but listen to your skin. If it's oily and unclear, more often, dry and flaky, less, and use good moisturiser. I use Vichy Normaderm always, scrub two to three times a week, use an clearing face mask about once a week tops, and some masks really irritate my skin, so can't use em. Just.. listen to your skin. Don't worry too much, if you worry, see a dermatologist. It's expensive I reckon (never been to one) but they can help. Or see at your local pharmacy (they do that here) about skin advice. Helps, oh yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MerryH View Post
    I started using Cetaphil cleanser and I really, really like it a lot.
    MerryH-----Cetaphil is the best!

Sadie_genie------In addition to cetaphil, try old fashioned Olay. The basic heavy cream, about $15 a jar. You don't need to worry about clogged pores at this stage because your skin is parched. Use the heavy cream for a few days.