+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dwelling on things.

Dwelling on things.

I tend to dwell on things and make them my life for example: thinking about something that happened 5 years ago. I have a lot of time on my hands and have a terrible time letting things go. Any advice on how to stop dwelling?

Ya get busy with social interests, and stop being a shut in.

OCD look it up in Google
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Quote Originally Posted by smileyface View Post
    I tend to dwell on things and make them my life for example: thinking about something that happened 5 years ago. I have a lot of time on my hands and have a terrible time letting things go. Any advice on how to stop dwelling?
    Sure, STOP IT!
    No, seriously...This what to do:

Stop listening to people that allow you to continue this sort of behavior with retarded advice like:
    "Well, honey...it takes time." or "It's not easy to ______" or "One day you will get over it" -it's all enabling BS designed to keep you screwed-

Start: to learn to realize the truth: YOU can only control what you are able to control: What you choose to DO in the present, not the past!
    Reflecting on the past isn't the same as dwelling on it because you simply have yet to learn from those past experiences...
    Conversely you also CANNOT influence other people's choices in life. Truth isn't the same for everyone: it is self evident!

You must remember: Experiences give us character, and define who we are and who we can/may become...
    Some are great, others are good, MANY are going to suck and be bad, but they all: give you experience!
    If you fail in applying the knowledge you've learned (from these past experiences) you are moving backwards in time -instead of forward.

If you have a lot of time on your hands: keep busy! There are so many wonderful things to do!
    Plus, why not attack the issue head on: and receive pure closure so that you CAN move on?

What's eating at you?

Check out these guys:

[url=http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/dlp/treating-depression/getting-help-with-depression/]Getting Help with Depression[/url]
    Spammer Spanker

I have this problem too, but I think the more I sit alone and think about these things, the sadder I feel. I think getting out and having fun is a great way to let go of the past.
    Or you could give yourself closure, like the prior post stated.

I think going out more will help with not dwelling. I just have too much time on my hands.

Try masturbating a lot - it will take your mind off things

be more extrospective and not introspective. And don't personalise things either.

I used to dwell on things too--you've just got to do what everyone else is saying and keep busy. Try not to think about it, keep your mind on positive things that are happening in your life and realize you can't change the past. You'll get through it, just keep moving forward!