View Poll Results: Posting engagement rings on Facebook...

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Post a ring, it's cool.

4 25.00%
  • Don't post, it's tacky.

12 75.00%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting pictures of engagement rings on FB

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Posting pictures of engagement rings on FB

Was on another forum and this topic came up.

What do you think of chicks posting their rings on facebook? I know many who do, and some who don't...

I personally think it's totally tacky and just seems as though you're showing off and or bragging that someone wants to marry you. Goes right along my view of saying finace this, fiance that...

My brother took a picture of my ring, posted it and tagged me. I untagged myself and asked it be taken off- it's not my style. If you haven't seen it, it's becasue I didn't show you.

Just curious to know if there's a discrepency between the "real" world (this form) and the wedding forums in terms of opinions on this.

When the thread starts to die I'll reveal what the stats are on the wedding forums.
    Last edited by girl68; 22-01-11 at 02:09 AM.

I probably wouldn't post a picture of my engagement ring on FB, but I wouldn't think it was overly odd to do so. Just as I wouldn't post a picture of a positive pregnancy test, but haven't thought it was overly odd when others did. It's just a visual way of sharing the news. I get the appeal of telling everyone an important update without saying/typing a word. The engagement ring picture is just complicated by the fact that it is also a big, expensive present you are showing off. But then, if you just got a new car or motorcycle, it wouldn't be weird to show it off on FB, would it? " Look at my new toy!" or even "Thanks, Mom!"

The goal is simple: (it goes deeper than this though)
    See, the people who created this *idea* of posting your wedding rings usually have
    platinum, custom banded 15kt flawless diamonds to show off and to see if their suspicions of
    (is mine the best) is correct...Now, obviously other people think it is "fun" so they join in...

Pretty soon you will have unsuspecting people posting their 1/8 carat sterling silver cubic zirconia ring from Wal-Mart and then
    you will have what happens in these kinds of things which is the equivalent of HS popularity contests/penis measuring
    contest where someone inevitably insults the other boyfriend/husband/GF or wives tastes in men, their crap choices in jewelery and the like...

Vanity at it's best.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^ LOL that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Take2 View Post
    I probably wouldn't post a picture of my engagement ring on FB, but I wouldn't think it was overly odd to do so. Just as I wouldn't post a picture of a positive pregnancy test, but haven't thought it was overly odd when others did. It's just a visual way of sharing the news. I get the appeal of telling everyone an important update without saying/typing a word. The engagement ring picture is just complicated by the fact that it is also a big, expensive present you are showing off. But then, if you just got a new car or motorcycle, it wouldn't be weird to show it off on FB, would it? " Look at my new toy!" or even "Thanks, Mom!"
    How in the world are these nonsensical items analogous to a wedding ring (a symbol of a supposed sacred bond between two people who)
    love each other and have taken the ultimate step of affirmation??? Exactly, it doesn't.

A car, a motorcycle, a yacht are ALL superficial possessions usually used to gauge a person's worth or place in societies culture...
    Of course a person's perception is the ultimate qualifier as to what classifies an item to be superficial and vain so
    just merely posting about something doesn't denote this moniker...right off the bat. The variables make it so.

I have a Rolex ( a brand synonymous with prestige, luxury) and shitty time telling ability...
    If I devise a contest to post our watches on facebook, and my peers post their timex, nixon, fossil, casio and other cheap watches
    you could construe this as a simple thing where posting our watches is *fun* but really? WGAS? The person posting their
    Baume et Mercier, Beritling, Patek Phillipe, Cartier, and Hublot watches are usually posting them because they want to flaunt it.
    Why? You pay a premium for quality time pieces, fine craftsman ship sure..but the #1 reason is: brand recognition.

Otherwise WHY devise a pointless social networking post where the focus is on what *I* wear on *my* wrist?

Point is: the OP has a right to feel the way she does...
    Just like you have the opinion it's no issue to post the ring, FB -it doesn't mean she won't.

I think you made a good point...though.
    I think I don't see a problem posting this if it's within her circle of friends.
    I had thought she was speaking about a certain "post your rings now" kind of thread where everyone posts their rings.

I think if it is done like as you said: "hey look, I'm getting married guys!!!" -I don't see the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SelflessnHumble View Post
    How in the world are these nonsensical items analogous to a wedding ring (a symbol of a supposed sacred bond between two people who)
    love each other and have taken the ultimate step of affirmation??? Exactly, it doesn't.
    Of course. But it is a recognizable symbol with a recognizable meaning. I mean, words don't have any innate meaning, either. But if my bff posts a picture of a ring on her left ring finger OR posts OMFG, I can't believe he proposed last night!!!!!!!...either way, I am able to interpret the message. I assume I already know these people are in love, I don't think even my most casual FB acquaintance is so unknown to me that I don't even know if he/she is seriously dating someone. But the message is that there will be a wedding and a marriage and hopefully a happily ever after.

A car, a motorcycle, a yacht are ALL superficial possessions usually used to gauge a person's worth or place in societies culture...
    Of course a person's perception is the ultimate qualifier as to what classifies an item to be superficial and vain so
    just merely posting about something doesn't denote this moniker...right off the bat. The variables make it so.

I have a Rolex ( a brand synonymous with prestige, luxury) and shitty time telling ability...
    If I devise a contest to post our watches on facebook, and my peers post their timex, nixon, fossil, casio and other cheap watches
    you could construe this as a simple thing where posting our watches is *fun* but really? WGAS? The person posting their
    Baume et Mercier, Beritling, Patek Phillipe, Cartier, and Hublot watches are usually posting them because they want to flaunt it.
    Why? You pay a premium for quality time pieces, fine craftsman ship sure..but the #1 reason is: brand recognition.

Otherwise WHY devise a pointless social networking post where the focus is on what *I* wear on *my* wrist?
    OK, maybe...or maybe you need a better class of friends. If anyone I know shows me a cool new possession of theirs, on FB or in real life, it is generally becuse they are excited. It is something they wanted and they enjoy sharing that excitement with people they care about. A new boat or motorcycle is not JUST a status symbol, it is also a fun toy and represents hours of future enjoyment to its owner. Even a more fully status-y expensive watch is not JUST a status symbol, it can be a lifelong dream or a goal fulfilled. And even if it's an all-out brag, shouldn't we be able to brag a bit amongst friends? I mean, not in hurtful ways like showing off engagement rings to our freshly divorced cousin or positive pregnancy tests to our infertile sister or diamond earrings to a co-worker who is struggling to keep her house. But I don't have a single friend on FB who I wouldn't be happy for if he/she posted a new boat or watch or engagement ring or baby picture or new rims for their truck or rare comic book or vinyl record. I would share in their happiness and move on.

Point is: the OP has a right to feel the way she does...
    Just like you have the opinion it's no issue to post the ring, FB -it doesn't mean she won't.
    Huh? If I gave the impression that I thought my opinion was the only valid one, I apologize. This part of your post seems a bit overly aggressive, to me. OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. I assume others will do the same. That's pretty much how this works, isn't it?

Hey it's here nor there......it's no different people posting pics of their baby belly or baby pics. It may seem like bragging but they are sharing their happiness because really this is new chapter that is starting in their life and they are excited about it. Marriage and starting a family is a huge event in some families. You don't care for it, then don't look at it.

Remember before the internet, people would have engagement parties and invite all their friends so they can show off the ring and celebrate the event. It's a given.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i truly enjoy seeing what other people have to share on FB. don't be a hater, girl.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I can "hate" if I want to. I'm entitled to an opinion as are you. Don't hate on mine just 'cause it ain't yours...

But it's not like I really "hate" at all. When I see the stupid ring photos. I say nothing, you'd have not a effin' clue I think it's ridiculous because I have *never* hinted such photos annoy me. Unless of course you figure out my screen name on here and wedding forums and stalk me.
    Last edited by girl68; 22-01-11 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    I can "hate" if I want to. I'm entitled to an opinion as are you. Don't hate on mine just 'cause it ain't yours...

But it's not like I really "hate" at all. When I see the stupid ring photos. I say nothing, you'd have not a effin' clue I think it's ridiculous because I have *never* hinted such photos annoy me. Unless of course you figure out my screen name on here and wedding forums and stalk me.
    LOL, in which case that person has bigger issues than your disapproval of their ring FB post!

i couldn't care less.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

never heard of it. i don't add those kind of people as friends.

I personally think it's tacky. I don't like people who abuse Facebook and put wayyyy too much information out there. I'm talking about stuff like sonograms, pictures of engagement rings, statuses every 3 seconds about what they're doing. An engagement ring is very special, and the bride to be should show the people she wants to show it off to in person! Why post it on Facebook? Just to get attention from a bunch of people you don't really know too well or even care about?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sorta how I feel.

I will admit I have a few pictures of my ring on my computer but I wouldn't dare post it publically. I sent it to my maid of honor when I asked her to stand beside me. That'll be the only picture of my ring that circulates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast