+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Hey there, I'm kind of desperate for some girl advice...

Hey there, I'm kind of desperate for some girl advice...

... So logically I went to the internet...

Anyway, I'm not much of a internet kind of a guy, but, I just really need some help.

Where do I begin... I've been homeschooled my entire life, so if anything seems blatantly obvious or just silly of me try not to be too harsh, I'm new at this.

My story is like most - teenage kid thinks he's found the love of his life and must win her heart. Typical.

My best-friend's name is Justin, this is all kind of his fault. I was fourteen at the time, bunch of us got together and were hanging at a friend's house. Justin was forced to bring his sisters along. I didn't mind, the one was kind of a nuisance but the other was really cool. Well, I guess it's safe to say I fell head over heels for her. Literally. While we're playing a game of manhunt I'm right on her tail and suddenly she pulls the old possum trick - dropping to the floor without warning. Needless to say, I fell.

After the game my knee was bothering me from jolting it when I tried not to fall into her. Next thing I know, my knee is on the other side of my leg and I'm writhing in pain on the ground. I went into shock almost instantly. She's the one who popped the sucker back in and as I lay there her face is what kept me calm. I tell you, she looks like an angel, I swear it.

So, you can see why I'd have a crush on her... the way to a guy's heart has always been through the knees... And she pushed it right out of the way on the way there, even had the decency to close the door behind her. Anyway, that's the start of the story I suppose. For the next three years I've still liked her, with every trait I learn about her I like her more. She's super shy, yet somehow extremely outgoing. She's the nicest person I've ever met, and she likes everything that I do to the point where we've read all the same books. The only reason I haven't done anything yet is because back in the 9th grade, I tried...

The dance was coming up and everyone was asking someone... They all knew who I wanted to ask. It's not that I was obvious, it's just I told a few people, and I'm pretty sure girls can read minds. It wasn't like I was going to ask her to be my girlfriend or anything, I just wanted to go with her. Suddenly, it was very hard to get her alone and it almost felt like she was avoiding me. A group of us went out to see a movie and afterward headed to the Barnes & Nobles to get out of the cold until our parents got there. It was almost perfect, they all left, leaving just me, her, and Justin. He knew I wanted to ask and he did his absolute best to let me. Constantly leaving us alone, but every time he left, she followed... I thought it was impossible that she knew, but it started to appear that way. She rounded a corner and boom, she vanished. I finally got the message as I realize she's running away from me (playfully) through the store. I didn't chase. I was kind of crushed. I wasn't sure if she was desperately trying to spare my feeling or if she really was just playing with me. So anyway, that made me never want to attempt to ask her to a dance again.

Home-school kids are a bit different from normal kids, I should remind you. I'm pretty much the only guy she knows, or at least is close friends with. According to Justin, that must mean she likes me. I've heard her say she's never had a crush in her life before. She's seventeen now. I'm not sure how that's possible but with her, I wouldn't be surprised. I just feel like, she could like me... whenever we'd come to a door it was always a fight over who holds it for who. Her sister randomly would say, "oh why don't you two just get married already." She never lets me buy things for her but I manage anyway and then she fights with me to pay me back. We'd play a lot of games together, from card games to thumb wars, I like letting her win. We are still very close, I unfortunately picked up some ulcers in my stomach about six months back and didn't get to hang out with her as much as I would normally. I kind of feel like I lost whatever chance I had now, I don't know what's going on in her life and there is this new guy that likes her that I've never met. I'm not sure what else I can tell you. I just know I needed to write all that, if I get some advice that would be awesome, if not, that's cool too. I just can't get her off my mind and I'm hurting over the fact that we may not be together in the end. I just can't picture my life any other way than to have her in my arms at the end of every day. =/

Wow, that's a toughie.

It kind of sounds to me as if you've been put into the "friend" zone, and she does not think of you romantically. It's certain she knows that you're interested, as she's got two siblings that you hang out with. Avoiding you like she did is probably because she didn't want to hurt your feelings when you did ask, though that'd be a more honest approach.

At seventeen, you've got your whole life ahead of you. Finish school. Go to college. Ask girls out. Dance like nobody's watching. Hold hands. Watch the sunset. Share a milkshake. Go on bike rides... or pogo-sticking, if that's your bag.

But don't worry about falling in love and getting married. It'll happen when you least expect it, and you should only get married when you've absolutely no doubts anywhere in your mind or heart.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that... I figured as much, I was really just hoping I could have a chance. I know I'm way too young to be thinking marriage, but, I just feel I need her to like me before it's too late. I don't plan on getting married until after college and I've dated a few girls. Probably something I should have mentioned. While this is all going on, I did end up having a few girlfriends, who at first seemed amazing and perfect, yet, somehow wrong. They were mean/sarcastic, completely the opposite of what I look for in a girl - flirtatious, spontaneous, and the like - but, they looked a lot like her. The were silly, and really cool people, but not right for me. When I felt like she wouldn't be with me, I tried to replace her, and not risk our friendship. Now, whenever I see another girl, I find a million faults in her, and I don't like them. With her, I love each and every one of them. I was thinking about talking with one of her best friends who also happens to be one of mine about it and see if I have a shot or if I should just try my best to move on... It'll be tough though.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sorry man, but no, you don't have a shot. She's had lots of opprotunity and many chances to reciprocate her interest and she never did. Be polite but move on it's not gonna happen.

FNM is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Yeah, you're more or less friend-zoned. That's not to say that there is no potential for a relationship, though. You need to pull yourself out of her life for a while. See her/contact her as little as you possiblly can, for at least a month, maybe two. This way, you can come back into her life as a potential suitor rather than someone she regards as a shoulder to cry on, or whatever. Obviously you guys have a connection, but she isn't going to perceive you as a potential boyfriend with things as they are.

Whilst you're spending time away from her, work on other aspects of your life. Get fit(or fitter) and perhaps find a new hobby or interest to invest your emotions in. Most of all, go out and flirt with some other girls. You might find someone great for you without all the hassle of a murky history and if you don't, you'll be more experienced with girls when you go back to your friend as a new person (not totally new, still be the guy she loved as a friend, but let her see you in a new light).

Anyway, that's what I'd do. Good luck man. Stay strong.

Thanks man, with the ulcers I picked up, I suppose I kind of did that. I was out of her life for a good 4-5 months. She made me a card and whatnot but like I said, I did not see or talk to her like normal. I have been working out the entire time I was away, I lost a lot of muscle while on medication but I'm building it back up. I'm about 145 pounds right now. I'm seeing her tomorrow, and I'm probably gonna talk with my other friend about it then, thanks for the advice.