+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What you resist persists. I don't understand this.

What you resist persists. I don't understand this.

Metaphor that relates my confusion:-> I'm stuck in traffic and I'm impatient and frustrated. I want to get where I'm going. What you resist persists applied to this situation would point out that I shouldn't be resistant to the traffic in front of me. So I try to accept that the traffic will be what it will be. I find that not resisting is not working. I have a problem here. If I make a second attempt then I am resisting my inabilty to not resist. If I apply the rule again it stands to reason that I should accept that I will not be able to resist frustration in traffic which leaves me in exactly the same position I started in.

did you watch "the secret"? The key point is not "not to resist". The main point is that you have to focus what you want, instead of what you don't want. If you kept thinking of the traffic (no matter you want it or not), it will still happens. I used to stuck in traffic before because I need to drive to work, then I told myself I I want the road smooth all the time. Then I received a better job offer and I changed my job, and the road to this new office is smooth all the time

"What you resist persists." Applying this to the traffic jam is idiotic. The traffic jam is going to be there when too many cars are packed onto a road. In fact you can predict the times there is going to be traffic and it is called rush hour.

In the case of traffic jams, you should focus your attention elsewhere. When you are in a traffic jam, you are obviously going to be there awhile, you should try to do something enjoyable, productive, relaxing, etc. with that time. Or do what the first responder said, start looking for other jobs. There are always jobs closer to home. If not that, plan ways to avoid the traffic jam altogether. Can you leave earlier? Maybe you can carpool with someone. I don't know, there is a lot of choices even within the constraints of reality. Often what holds us back is just not even considering the full range of options.