+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age-old Question: Can guys and girls be just friends?

Age-old Question: Can guys and girls be just friends?

I asked an acquaintance I'm just starting to get to know to coffee and he basically told me that he'd really be interested in going as friends but 'does not think it would be more than that,' adding that he doesn't really want a relationship right now and is dealing with a former girlfriend. I was surprised by this a little bit because I asked to have coffee, not to marry him or jump immediately into dating.

We ended up going as friends, of course, and it was a blast! 2 hours spent talking, laughing, having an amazing time - we have much in common and I practically see him every day now. Honestly, I think I fell for him, and now I am beating myself up for it because he flat out told me in the beginning it was just friends. We always have a great time when we're together - conversation is easy and fun, and I can completely be myself and not have to worry about impressing him or disappointing him, which feels so freeing. It sucks that I can't date him, but usually I feel better when he sees me and has a big grin on his face. My gut's telling me though - we connect and get along very well - I felt like I found my best friend...that I'm very much attracted to! CRAP!

Guys - what on earth is going on in his brain? He always hugs me goodbye, picks up all my calls, opens doors for me, responds to all my texts, and genuinely is caring, maybe even more caring than most of my female friends.

Is this honestly strictly platonic? (I've even caught him staring at me... and sometimes he's caught me staring at him, in which he responds by staring right back, not looking away, weird...) I'll be okay if it's best to move on, but yes, I really do wish I had more because our friendship is great and the connection is there.

he probably just said the whole friend bit in the beginning as a bit of a disclaimer, but most relationships start out as friendships. People don't really date anymore, they're just friends, and usually more than friends, than boyfriend and girlfriend. Common sense would say he's probably into you too.
    Love and Inspiration - www.loveninspiration.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-and-Inspiration/182247438490558

Quote Originally Posted by starry23 View Post
    Yes.

I was surprised by this a little bit because I asked to have coffee, not to marry him or jump immediately into dating.
    Girls don't just randomly ask guys to have coffee with them. I'm not at all surprised that he assumed that you might have been interested.

Is this honestly strictly platonic?
    Only he knows. Why not ask him? He does behave like he is interested.

Yes. If there is no attraction on either side.

I wouldn't take someones friendliness, as a sign they want or would like more.

I would think this guy is into you. Right now it seems hes having a hard time with his ex which is understandable. Don't get your hopes up to be crushed however. You never know when/if hes going to run back to her and you don't know the whole situation. I would think that if they don't have children then there would be no reason to continue talking to her especially when it seems so hard for both of them right now. What would be the point?

Maybe hes using you to help himself get over his ex? People are very complicated and you never know!

Look into yourself and look into him. You must be honest and realistic with yourself, no one knows the situation like you and him. Do what you feel is in your heart and don't take any of this advice very seriously. You must do what you want or five years down the line you may kicking yourself in the ass.

Yup. I'm trying to remain level-headed and not get too carried away. I honestly don't think he's using me to get over his ex - he's in my general circle of friends and my friends all know him to be a very genuine and caring person, who's very respectful to everyone. And, we're both in college and have no kids, haha.

I guess I was having a hard time because his words say he's not interested in a relationship with anyone right now...but his actions seem kind of different?... We've never actually discussed it verbally, that pre-coffee agreement was over texting. After we went out for coffee it seems, something might have changed...I know for me it did, I expected going and having a nice time, but I didn't think it would be that much fun... I remember sitting there after talking for a few hours, and he just got quiet all of a sudden, looked comfortable and just started just looking at me intensely straight in the eyes. It was weird at first because we spent hours talking and laughing nonstop and all of a sudden he just sat there in silence, staring (not in a creepy way, just in relaxed gazing kind of way). I started getting nervous because it was more than a few seconds and then I said, we should probably go....so we did. Since then, I've practically have seen him just about every day or every other day. One week, we ended up doing a 5 or 6 day streak of coincidentally running into each other (most of the time, it's because we always hang out in the same place and do a lot of the same activities). So yeah, maybe all that staring means nothing at all, haha... I guess I'm wondering if guys stare for no reason? Maybe he's bored or just thinking of other things?

He's attracted to you and he likes you. But his life isn't in a good place to date you or anyone else. If you pressure him to date you, he will run. Just let it be what it is for now. Once he has his life on track and feels on even ground, he may make a move. Keep your eyes open for an available love interest in the meantime. Because you can want this all you want, but you can't make him reciprocate.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6B8sagto0]YouTube - Can Guys and Girls just be Friends? In 60 Seconds[/url]

Dunno if the OP can see that link. But this guy has some pretty good points.

To answer your question: to experienced people and emotionally responsible people: YES, guys and girls CAN be just friends: just not you unfortunately
    The fact is: He doesn't like you enough to be serious with you because he still is connected to his ex-whom he's still seeing...

You allowed yourself to fall for someone who isn't interested in you as you are in him. It happens all the time because you aren't in control of your emotions as you should.
    The fact is: you shouldn't be spending so much time with someone who is just your friend: because you are emotionally compromised and he just LOVES the attention you give him anyway...

What is going on in his brain: He is being your friend, nothing more. To him: this is how he treats his friends...It's not weird.
    He knows how to treat a woman, and you want that for yourself. <---Not going to happen and if you have a shred of decency you'd remove yourself from this situation
    and allow him some space until he is done and has had closure from his ex...Then it's all good.

Building a foundation on top of another bond he has with someone else invites cheating, lies and all sorts of negativity! Do the right thing.
    Of course he likes you: but you need to respect what is going on.

obviously. yes they can.

all it takes is for them not to find each other attractive in any romantic/sexual way but be into the same stuff. These friends tend to grow to love each other in a brother/sister way in my experience and they'd be completely grossed out at the thought of banging the other.

oh wait, oops, I'm not a male. oh well.

I don't know... it's hard. I think that at one point with every guy friend I've had, either they had an attraction to me or vice versa, or both, even if it was just a little bit. The only guy friend I was truly friends with and never had any attraction or interest in whatsoever was a gay friend of mine I do think they can be friends, but there is always one point during the friendship where one of the two might think about hooking up or a relationship... it just happens! especially if either of the 2 is attractive

Quote Originally Posted by ashley89 View Post
    I don't know... it's hard. I think that at one point with every guy friend I've had, either they had an attraction to me or vice versa, or both, even if it was just a little bit. The only guy friend I was truly friends with and never had any attraction or interest in whatsoever was a gay friend of mine I do think they can be friends, but there is always one point during the friendship where one of the two might think about hooking up or a relationship... it just happens! especially if either of the 2 is attractive
    Well Ashley you already know I printed out your picture and enlarged it to a lifesize cardboard cutout, but I think the issue here would be based on what the guy has been exposed to.
    While being attractive is subjective: when it comes to the worldly wants and perception there is such a thing as being hot and/or ugly...And since I have known very beautiful women before as well as in the present
    I can comment to say that I need to feel a connection in order to be attracted to someone: it's almost like my soul needs to connect with theirs on some level and if it's not there; and no matter how "hot" she appears to be:
    if I can't connect: I hear crickets when I look at her (seriously) !

yeah guys and girls can be friends........if they are friends that hump! i have never heard of a guy that didnt want to sleep with a girl he was friends with. pisses me off when i'm with a girl and she says 'oh he's just a friend. nothing would ever happen between us' well maybe you wouldnt want to fool around with him but i know he wants to get into your pants! get a clue!!!
    I got loaded last night on a bottle of gin
    And I had a fight with my redneck girlfriend
    But when I'm drinkin' I am nobody's friend
    Please baby wait for me until they let me out again

Quote Originally Posted by ktm390 View Post
    yeah guys and girls can be friends........if they are friends that hump! i have never heard of a guy that didnt want to sleep with a girl he was friends with. pisses me off when i'm with a girl and she says 'oh he's just a friend. nothing would ever happen between us' well maybe you wouldnt want to fool around with him but i know he wants to get into your pants! get a clue!!!
    Just because you can't be friends with a beautiful female and not want to jump her bones doesn't mean it doesn't exist!
    There are people out there that don't just jump in the sac because she registers a 10 on the superficial scale of hotness.

i guess there is an exception to every rule

and at first glance i thought your avatar said 'back door not open do not enter' haaaa still cool though
    I got loaded last night on a bottle of gin
    And I had a fight with my redneck girlfriend
    But when I'm drinkin' I am nobody's friend
    Please baby wait for me until they let me out again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast