+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Crush = Sadness?

Crush = Sadness?

Hey Guys!
    I'm a 23 year old guy. I have a question about crushes, i.e. the early phase of dating, before you know for sure whether or how much the other side likes you back.

For some reason, whenever I have a crush, I get sad. This is completely independent of how the "object of desire" feels about me. For example, I just asked this cute girl out (I'm not unexperienced but I don't do that often) and I only got positive signals from her - we're having dinner tomorrow. Yet, I'm sitting here and instead of looking forward to tomorrow, I feel this deep inner sadness. And this always happens, no matter whether the crush is one-sided or not.

Oh, and I also always behave weirdly when I have a crush like this. That is probably, why I've never had a relationship with a girl that I had a strong crush on before coming closer. I had my last girlfriend because we had a one-night stand and then got close - if I would have had a chance to slowly get to know her, have a crush and then date her, I'm quite sure that we would not have become a couple.

I'm suspecting this has something to do with my hormones (i.e. a drop of endorphines/dopamine), but is it normal that this makes me so sad? Or is it, because I've been hurt in the past when my crushes were either one-sided or somehow unsuccessful and in anticipation of that, I'm already sad?

What does this reaction tell about me? Do you guys (and Gals) have that too?

I find this a very curious symptom, since having a crush should be fun (shouldn't it?).

Best,
    Anonymous.

It sounds like you have anxiety disorder where you set yourself up for failure before you even get started. Why not seek out some therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    It sounds like you have anxiety disorder where you set yourself up for failure before you even get started. Why not seek out some therapy.
    Cool, thanks for the answer. I just had the date and it was quite natural, I think we both had fun. Hmm are you sure it's anxiety disorder? I mean I'm open to any possibility - but I'm really not anxious or scared at all, at least not consciously. I'm just plain sad when I'm not distracted. Of course that could be caused by unconscious fear - is that what you think it is?

Or maybe I should just date more.