+ Follow This Topic

Thread: homeopathic medicine

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

homeopathic medicine

I have a friend who had stage 3 colorectal cancer, who after the initial traditional treatment and surgery, decided to go with alternative/homeopathic remedies. He did this when the odds of him surviving were basically equal, whether he uses alternative or traditional medicine. He is only 43, with 2 small kids, and the odds of him surviving beyond 5 years aren't great.

I get scared when he tells me some of the crazy shit he does, as prescribed by his homeopathic "doctor", but he is the one suffering, and I feel that pointing out how ridiculous some of it is would rob him of his hope, which is a vital component to healing.

Anyway, I read this today on NPR. It reminds me that my gynecologist once told me that if alternative medicine actually worked, it would be called medicine.

[url=http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/02/08/133569580/homeopathic-medicine-overdosers-survive-unscathed?sc=fb&cc=fp]Homeopathic Medicine Overdosers Survive Unscathed : Shots - Health News Blog : NPR[/url]
    Last edited by vashti; 10-02-11 at 03:05 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hey , they also propose a 1 million $ award for a person who proves scientifically that homeopatic medicine are working hehe. I wish I could prove it But I think this reward will never be given to anyone... such a shame :/
    I wazzzz here

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Peddlers of some homeopathic "cures" are preying on the fears and neurosis of some very sick people. It's disgusting.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I heard that this morning. That homeopathic shit is a waste of money. I knew someone who was into that shit it reminded dme of those people who refuse to take their child to a doctor when they're sick.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I read that melatonin has many benefits and started taking a couple of weeks ago. Let's just say that I am having a really good night sleep and vivid dreams.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Homeopathy is obviously bullshit, but there's a few studies showing a correlation between the "attitude" towards a disease/etc and the recovery. So I can see how homeopathy could make the attitude of someone sick better and actually help them..

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_cupping]Fire cupping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Anyone heard of this before? I've had it done to myself few times when I was a kid. Of course at home. It was sooo long time ago that I don't even remember if it helped or not I just remember that back then it was reaaaally popular , I even had a set of those cups at home I remember this as a funny feeling Hehe

From home medicine, I remember my father was doing me home inhalations with an extract from different herbs. He was reading bunch of books about it while he was sick so he knew and actually still knows what herb helps in which case. To be honest, while I was doing it at home, I never was sick more than a once a year. Well of course if I got sick very bad,I would go to a doctor, my father wasn't that crazy But to be honest, there is a bunch of ways how to fight different things without going to a doc. I just don't know many, but my father does hehe
    I wazzzz here

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I saw pictures of people's backs after cupping.... it looked like bruises or burns. Did they use them hot?

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yeah, we used it as well
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I saw pictures of people's backs after cupping.... it looked like bruises or burns. Did they use them hot?
    Yeah hot, but the bruises aren't burns, it's because the cups are ,well hehe, swallowing your skin The bruises go away after 2 days or something, nothing bad really
    I wazzzz here

It's called moxibustion, you can google that term and get some really good info from Wikipedia. Didn't like it when it was done to me, I looked like I had giant hickeys all over my back!

I think most forms of alternative medicine work because of the placebo effect. The mind has so much power over the body. Think about laws of attraction, etc.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Of course mind has a lot to do with health. See depressed people are more vulnerable to get sick. A sound mind in a sound body , but it works both ways
    I wazzzz here