+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Parting with a best friend

Parting with a best friend

Hello, my name is Karl and i just joined this forum to get advice on this one area in my life now that has me really upset.

My best friend that i've known for quite a long time is moving halfway across the country this summer. I consider her my sister more than anything and i've just been having a really hard time with the fact that she will be gone. I keep reminding myself that its not like shes dying, shes just moving. It helps a little bit to remind myself of these things but i cant help but think of all the fun things we always do together and just the great times we have shared over the years. She the one i turn to when i need to talk but with this i feel like i cant because i need to be strong for her. Should i tell her that im having a hard time or should i just leave it as is and not make a big fuss that way she wont worry so much?

thank you!

i think it would be ok to admit that you're sad. but life is like this. people come and go in and out of our lives all the time. but if she is a true friend the distance or time will not matter. it's hard but it gets easier as time goes on.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Yeah, this stuff is really hard and it's part of life just like misombra said.

Good friends are never gone from your life, though, even if she's gone geographically you'll find ways to stay close. If you really feel a strong need to talk to her about it, I would do it. That's what friends are for, even though it might make her worry a little. You both know you'll be OK, just sad and need to share those feelings, right?

i never in a million years thought it would be this hard. I guess you dont realize how close you are to someone until the time comes and situations arise like the one im dealing with now. Im not worried that we will lose touch or grow apart, im just going to miss our day to day interactions and conversations that we have now and i know i wont get that back. Once she moves whenever we see each other its just going to be the typical impersonal conversations that you have with people you only see every once in awhile.

Im going to continue to support her and help her out as much as i can with the move, it hurts to do so but its what she needs and thats more important to me than feeling sad.