+ Follow This Topic

Thread: being stood up

being stood up

Hello, I need a little piece of advice: tonight I was stood up (for the first time in my life!) by this guy who asked me out a week ago, we updated this afternoon at 5 pm, he sent a couple of flirty messages and then didn't show up. I was good, I waited only 15 minutes, then I sent him an sms asking if I was in the right place and that I would go check the other one nearby, and he never answered.
    I made other plans, and back home, no messages.
    I had no expectations about this guy, I mean, he was very cute but something wouldn't convince me about him, so I am not really crushed by this experience (and we had just to meet to talk about some work-related stuff, even if he was flirty and asked me out like it was a date), but the embarrassing part is that he is the flatmate of a friend of mine, and I will have to mention this at some point.
    This guy is 36 and a social worker, can he still be so screwed up? What shall I say to my friend when she asks me why he is no more among my facebook contacts?

thank you
    Last edited by BillyJean; 14-02-11 at 06:15 AM.

Being stood up doesn't make you look bad, it makes him look bad, as long as you don't act crazy about it. Just have an "ah well" kind of attitude about it ever comes up, like it's no big deal (because it isn't.)

Do people really keep an eye on other people's Facebook contacts enough to know when someone is removed?

well, maybe not - you are right, so you think I just shouldn't tell anybody?

Nah, no need to mention it to anyone unless they ask. It's not even worth discussing, really.

I mean, if you want support, tell your close friends, but it doesn't sound like you're all that broken up over it.

sadie_genie Guest
    What an idiot. Just shrug it off. I agree with the others. Its not worth discussing and if someone brings it up, just act as if its nothing.

mostly very puzzled: why would one do something like that? but yes, I understand it's not personal because we have met only once before, so it's not like he knows me (he might have found somebody better looking, but in that case that wouldn't be worth of a thought). But why would somebody do something so rude to a person they are bound to meet again?

but, yes, I suspect that the next time I ll see him I ll just burst out laughing... I mean, 36 years old, come on.. not even a little line: I had a car accident, my cell phone was lost in the crash.. ok, I AM slightly bitter at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJean View Post
    ok, I AM slightly bitter at the moment
    It's fine. Better to let it out here than to do or say something petty and vindictive.

sadie_genie Guest
    He probably just stood you up because he is an disorganized lazy asshole. He probably just too lazy to even leave you a word telling you he won't show up.

Why not let the guy redeem himself. If he is a social worker he may have had an emergency that he had to attend to.

sadie_genie Guest
    I don't think the guy even made an attempt to contact her to apologize afterwards or answer her messages.

I was stood up once and it sucks. Just try to shrug it off and pretend it didn't happen, but if he tries to contact you and apologize, see if the apology sounds legit and sincere. Also, if he does do that be very cautious until you can gain some trust back with him.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    Why not let the guy redeem himself. If he is a social worker he may have had an emergency that he had to attend to.
    it was his free day.. and, yes, no messages whatsoever - what kind of a person is that?