+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anxiety is ruening my quality of life.

anxiety is ruening my quality of life.

i have had anxiety for about a year now, it all started one day when i was driving my car my heart started to beat really fast for no reason and it got me scared. now i cant even drive anymore beacause i am scared it wil happen again, there is not route to why this is happening,i think i have phyched myself out so badly that i cant function normally anymore because i am stressed over this, sometimes i go to the gym and i cant lift weights because my hearts starts to beat really fast and it makes it harder to breath or to catch a breth. there are time where i feel very detached frm what is real and what is not, sometimes i feel like i am dreaming even though i am awake, i feel like i am losing my grip on reality. sometimes when i sleep i wake up and my heart is beaing very fast then i cant go to sleep after that.
    i have not left my house or worked for a year now because of my anxiety, eveyrtime i leave my house i think something bad will happen to me, sometimes i go somehwere and i feel like i will pass out and i feel really sick, but as soon as i get home i feel better. i was never like this before, i was always the type of person to be proactive, i never liked to be home i always wanted to go out and always do things, this is really effecting me quality of life and how i live. i feel like there is nothing for me to live for sometimes because i am just letting my life pass me by, and the thing is im to scared to even try and do anything about it. i try and get out there and do things but i just end up back in my huse where it is safe. has any1 delt with anything like this before? can any1 give me suggestions on how i should begin to seek help for my anxiety? any recommneded treatment? any advice would be helpfull thanks.

Here is a book that you can start with "Healing Anxiety And Depression" by Dr.Daniel Amen. It's available at amazon for less than 13 bucks. This book and all his other stuff has a 5 star rating. This book will help you understand what is happening and will recommend what treatment is available. You cannot do this on your own. Go see your family doctor to see what your options are. It's better to go to a therapist first to see if medication is necessary. I am not a believer of popping pills as a cure all. I find the notion as only a band-aid solution and not a cure. This why I recommend Danial Amen. He focuses on a true diagnosis and tries to treat it with life style changes such as diet, exercising the body as well the brain. It might be the direction you are looking for. I hope it works for you. Keep in touch I would like to know about how your progress is coming along.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It sounds like a classic panic attack. Unfortunately, giving in to your anxiety will only reinforce them. You need cognitive-behavioral therapy. Find a therapist that specializes in panic attacks. Additionally, they commonly prescribe SSRIs (anti-depressant) for people with panic disorders, and depending on severity, beta-blockers are sometimes prescribed to control physical symptoms related to heart function. Usually, though, the therapy alone is very effective.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I'd visit the doctors. You will be probably be prescribed beta blockers. I went through a period where I was the exact same in the past and that is what I was prescribed.

I know how frightening panic attacks can be.

ID talk with close friends to solve the anxiety,or doctor.
    You cannt stand it for a long time,get out of it earlier

Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy? In my experience it's one of the best (and long lasting) treatments for anxiety and agoraphobia.

It comes and goes, but as of recent it has been really bad, cause stabbing pains in my lower sides, tingling in my toes, and hindering my range of motion greatly. I am young (26 yrs old) and it is ruining my quality of life. .

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ruining???

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Am just wondering what your age is. Sounds like pre-menopausal hormonal imbalance, which may be simply treatable with hormone replacement therapy, and can begin, anytime for unusual cases such as adult female chemo patients, but usually some where between late thirty's to fifty. Other hormone imbalances such as thyroid and adrenals can cause panic type symptoms. One should always eliminate physical dis-ease before assuming its a mental phobia and this can be as simple as seeing your GP for a check up including systemic blood diagnostics. I would suspect hormones with the sudden onset you described.

however, suppressed trauma, abuse, grief, loss and many other life stresses are often the cause of panic attacks surfacing and it is important to acknowledge the power and validity of such pain and distress. It is no respector of persons, often the stronger the person the worse the crash when they finally succumb. I firmly believe that panic attacks are a a godsend for some, a chance to dig out the memory or hurt and deal with it before it mutates to physical dis-ease such as cancer. Panic attacks are nothing to hide or be ashamed of and NEVER to be ignored.

So, get a physical check up, certainly try cognitive therapy. But mostly, talk to your friends and others, get informed, learn that there is comfort in knowing that being 'human' means you don't have to be stoic and steel strong in the face of fear hurt, loss and just plain stress overload. What ever you are packing down and don't want to face or acknowledge, drag it up (get help if you can) and get it out. Try picking up a pen and just ramble on about how you really feel til it surfaces from the depths. Forgive yourself for failures, and let go of destructive attitudes that keep feelings repressed. You do not deserve to be punnished beyond repense. Make a list of your positive attributes and don't judge yourself by what you percieve others to be. They are likely just as fragile or less caring. It is notable that those who care and worry about the world and other people are the ones more likely to succumb to 'too much caring' and suffer from burnout and panic attacks. So be kind to yourself and don't delay in beginning positive steps to wellness again. Let us know what helps and how you fare. You wil be able to help others once you come through this. And you will.

Get ye to a doctor, preferably one you like and trust.

In the mean time, plan small outings. Say to yourself " I am going to walk out of my front door and down the street for 1 minute. Then I will turn around and come back. When I come back safe and sound I'll know I can be outside for 2 minutes." When you come home safe and sound, pat yourself on the back.
    The next time go out and walk down the street for 2 minutes for a 4 minute round trip. Keep reinforcing to yourself that you can be outside and safe.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

You will never again feel safe. Perhaps just end it now and start again?
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I had the same problem hit me out of nowhere just about four months ago. Some anti-anxiety pills and a little therapy will clear it right up.

Mine was so bad I thought I was having heart attacks, I was in the ER three times one week. I felt like I was dying. Just know there is a way out of it. Stress/anxiety is one of the biggest health threats out there.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

First answer my simple question Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy? In my experience it's one of the best (and long lasting) treatments for anxiety and agoraphobia.
    richy

Haven't tried yet cognitive behavioral therapy, but I heard and read some articles about it. Would you mind sharing its positive effect more? I would love to hear it. Well, anxiety could really ruin our life, it is only natural for us because we are humans, we think and we have feelings.
    finding an inspiration

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lionheart07 View Post
    i have not left my house or worked for a year now because of my anxiety, eveyrtime i leave my house i think something bad will happen to me, sometimes i go somehwere and i feel like i will pass out and i feel really sick, but as soon as i get home i feel better.
    This is more serious than any quick fix advice you might get here. Talk to your medico. Call from your home phone if you must but get help. There's no shame in it. The fact you have changed with time says there is something physical to your psychological state. Are you early-mid 20s? Or perhaps in your 40s? Either age is when your brain chemistry can change dramatically.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast