+ Follow This Topic

Thread: If a woman [subliminally] calls a man "toxic," does the man have any shot with her?

If a woman [subliminally] calls a man "toxic," does the man have any shot with her?

I need to ask this. Let me give yall the condensed story:

Back in high school, my ex gf and I were on and off. Both of us were in a relationship for the first time, and we honestly had no idea what we were doing. After high school when we had broken up, she still texted me and I grew irritated because I wanted nothing to do with her, so I said some mean words and got to stop contacting me for two years.
    Being a senior at college now, saw that she been commenting on our college's page. I commented on one of my peers' post, and she commented on the same one, 'happy' that she saw that I was commenting on there. I added her, and we texted each other feverishly since last weekend.
    I feel as though the tables turned because she was the one that was being textually aggressive, wanting to know what I was doing for spring break, wanting to hang out with me et al.
    Back to the question. She posted a link to the song Toxic by Britney Spears. She posted several times msgs that were directed at me, though she denied they were directed at me. She tagged me in a photo, saying I was #9 on her top friends of all time (with 9 I suspect being the top one, and with 1 like). If you have listened to Toxic thousands of times and have the lyrics memorized, why would she call me Toxic? Is that a positive or negative sign? I mean, for not talking to me in TWO YEARS, she already wanting to hang out with me and asking what my plans are for spring break... why would she suddenly ask that?
    I want to get back with her, but I feel as though I need to earn it first. I want her to get to truly know me, to trust me et al and then hopefully I'm worthy enough for her love.
    But she wants to get with me. Why she want to get with me relationship already? I mean, she asking if I had any gfs since high school, and I told her "not since we were together." She replied the same thing.

I know I've gone off on many tangents in this questions, but I would like for you (if you decide to answer this question) to maybe clarify some things. Maybe suggest a course of action to take, or what her intentions are, or what I should do... Thank you very much
    1 hour ago

Because I am not good at these things, I have no advice other than to stop using the phrase "et al". It doesn't mean "and all," it is a phrase to reference additional authors in scientific journals. Source: myself. I am a nerd. It doesn't make you sound smart, just kind of pseudo-pedantic.

Your perspective of what happened will be clearer now that you both are more mature and a little wiser. Why not ask her to meet up with you for coffee and talk about old times......maybe there will be something to rekindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    Because I am not good at these things, I have no advice other than to stop using the phrase "et al". It doesn't mean "and all," it is a phrase to reference additional authors in scientific journals. Source: myself. I am a nerd. It doesn't make you sound smart, just kind of pseudo-pedantic.
    In point of fact, it's an abbreviation of the Latin "et alii, et aliae or et alia" (gender differences) meaning "and others" or "and elsewhere" depending on the usage. He's not actually using it incorrectly.

Why even want a shot with a woman who refers to you as 'toxic'??