+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I depressed, just sad, or normal?

Am I depressed, just sad, or normal?

So I was talking to a friend yesterday and we were talking about sadness. I said I was always sad or mad when forced to go to some social event, when I can't sleep around 10 hours a night, when I'm not left alone, or when I have to do something I don't want to do.

I felt like this when I was in my mid-teens sometimes. I would normally come home from school, rush through my homework, then go to sleep. The day after, I would think "what's the point in going to class today?" a lot. I normally ended up going and keeping to myself. I might talk to 2 people at the most on those days.

I also raged whenever I got a migraine headache or felt sick. After being aware of said migraine, I would go back to bed. I always woke up mad, tried to get something done, fail, then lie in bed.

Anyway, my friend said I sounded kind of depressed. I dismissed that idea immediately at the time. I thought about it in-depth this morning, and he might be right. Of course, he could've been wrong, but I'm not sure. I sleep as much as possible, often question the point of doing something, and I'm happiest when I'm alone. In fact, I often blow off social events just so I can be alone or sleep.

So, what do you think? Is my friend right? Is he wrong? Should I talk to someone else about this? Should I do nothing?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Klim View Post
    I sleep as much as possible, often question the point of doing something, and I'm happiest when I'm alone. In fact, I often blow off social events just so I can be alone or sleep.
    I'm not going to look it up right now, but I'm pretty sure those are classic signs of depression. Don't ignore it.

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    All i know is when i went through a long phase of depression, i was sleeping a lot also. 13-14 hours a day. i didn't want to do anything, i hated even getting out of bed. I didn't even want to talk to my friends. If you really feel like something is wrong chances are there probably is.
    "Sometimes the best way to throw a punch is to take a step back"~Morgan freeman

I think your friend is wrong. I've been in my teens for several years now (I'm 19, but getting out my teens still seems so distant), and I tell you that being introverted, not giving a damn about anything and being constantly pesimist is just part of your personality I'd say. . . Said that way it seems so negative, but it's not, it's just makes you distinguishable. And the term "depressed" is still so subjective. . . depression is just the way society has of naming sadness, but sadness is inherent to the nature of human beings. . . We are all sad, all the time, when we've had a bad day at work, when somebody said something unpleasant to us, or even if we missed the bus. After a miserable day at school I'd just arrive home pissed off and sleep for many hours, and then just lament myself for my many other problems, and yet here I am still living. . . And my life isn't that bad. . .

You can call it depression or you can call it whatever you went. . . Unless you feel horrible and want to kill yourself, you're fine, and if youe'r pissed off at life because of all those problems you probably wouldn't even consider problems, then congratulations, you're human.

The only things we humans can do to feel better about all those things life does to us is simply learn how to fully exploit those small pleasures in life. And that's why we humans are here, to just live a selfish insignificant life and just try to be as happy as we possibly can, to find that most desired stability between happiness and sadness we all want, and to just let the years pass. Because what does it matter after that? Some say you must leave something here on Earth, a mark of sorts, but what does it matter if will never be able to see it after dead?

Don't worry, you're not depressed, you're just alive!

We're not all meant to be prom kings and queens. I love being alone. I like to go to the movies alone and drive to the beach... and sometimes I lie about having something to do so I don't have to go to some dumb event. Who cares? It sounds like you're most upset when forced to do things you don't want to do. That sounds pretty normal to me. Especially if there is no gain on your end.

Depression is very serious but I think it's thrown around way too often. We're a very complex species. We inevitably feel all sides of the spectrum.
    Best of luck

In general, on a day to day basis would you consider yourself happy? Do you prefer to be alone to avoid others or do you just like being alone?

Depending on how you feel about yourself and life these would be factors to look at. I wouldn't say you're necessarily depressed and I would agree with the other responses that "depression" is thrown around far too easily, but that being said only you can assess your current state. If you are unhappy and unmotivated in life do something about it.

Instead of looking for random and non-committed answers on the internet about such issues, why don't you talk to your physician?

Don't take risks with your health.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Also, you can train your brain to happiness (or unhappiness). There's plenty of research on this. Focus on positive things and when you notice feeling dark, do something different. Far too many people have an intolerance for transient negative emotions. Ask your doc but don't let him/her prescribe meds unless there is a very good reason.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Actually, just an update on this:

I don't know what I was thinking at the time I wrote this thread, but I wasn't nearly as sad or depressed as I thought I was. But I do get quite sad when I have a migraine.

I really only get into a mood like the one I described in my first post when I'm sick with a migraine. Getting one of those makes me way more sensitive to light and sound, so I tend to try to stay alone during those and sort of sleep through them.The rest of the time, I feel fine.

Anyway, I've been really happy with everything my rather nice life has thrown at me, and I think I have this life going very nicely.

Yeah, thanks for all the helpful insight on this, and I've got it handled for now.
    I am homosexual. A lesbian, actually. If you have a problem with that, then it sucks for you. It's not your problem. It's not even a problem. I quite like it this way.

May be only illusions

It sounds to me like you're just a very irritable person. Perhaps you're stressed out or you have anger issues. It could also be PMS or PMDD. People who are severely depressed are almost always in a state of feeling worthless, feeling like life is pointless, etc. These are the people who need the meds and therapy. This day in age, almost everyone is a little bit depressed but I wouldn't say that its medication-worthy depression. With the way the economy is, and the wars going on, its hard to get excited about life anymore. It doesn't mean one should commit suicide or anything. For those with severe depression, should seek therapy or (legal) medication. For those with mild depression and intermittent sadness could look into exercise, eating better, taking up new hobbies, or even seeing a therapist as well.