+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article About Unemployed Young Men Still Getting Sex

Article About Unemployed Young Men Still Getting Sex

[url=http://www.slate.com/id/2286240/]Sex is cheap: Why young men have the upper hand in bed, even when they're failing in life. - By Mark Regnerus - Slate Magazine[/url]

Just as a personal aside: articles like this really terrify and confuse me. When I broke up with my long term boyfriend, friends (both male and female) reassured me that I was way better off without him. Me: well paying job, financially independent and responsible, live on my own, have a fair number of good friends, many interesting hobbies and active outside the house. My ex: unemployed, living in his parents' basement, plays video games all day, has very few friends, etc.

And yet if rumors are true, he's attracting/bedding tons of women who beg him for his attention, and I consider myself lucky to find A guy who will casually date me.

Are other people's experiences similar to mine or what the article talks about?

I read that article earlier today and found it interesting. I think the main points are valid. Fewer people are getting married, and average age at marriage has risen dramatically in modern times. The FWB concept is very advantageous for young slacker guys and it's strangely popular despite the rising academic and economic success of young women today.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_sky View Post
    he's attracting/bedding tons of women who beg him for his attention, and I consider myself lucky to find A guy who will casually date me.
    right...how is he going to meet women if he plays games all day and has next no friends? what would he talk about even if he meets those women? how l337 he is at video games? lol
    your gonna develop a low self esteem issue if you keep on dating losers.

I didn't read the article, but I think the title would suggest that not all women go for men with money or status and if the unemployed have no difficulty picking up and bedding women.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    1 thought:

"he's cool and care free" which he probably is...

Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    1 thought:

"he's cool and care free" which he probably is...
    Ya that's how struggling musicians and artists get girls. Care-free men look happier, younger, stronger, and cooler. But that is all temporary facade, as a loser quickly loses his appeal.
    That's good for flings. I doubt any woman would want to be in a serious relationship with a slacker. Think about it...he might be nice and cool with his long hair and guitar, but when
    he takes you to McDonalds for your birthday, reality hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaius View Post
    Ya that's how struggling musicians and artists get girls. Care-free men look happier, younger, stronger, and cooler. But that is all temporary facade, as a loser quickly loses his appeal.
    That's good for flings. I doubt any woman would want to be in a serious relationship with a slacker. Think about it...he might be nice and cool with his long hair and guitar, but when
    LOL.

I knew a guy who was unemployed but actively seeking work. He was pretty cool actually and oozed confidence....I was drawn to him.

You get 2 types of 'unemployed'...those who will and would work and those who are 'work shy'.

The 'work shy', I'd avoid and no matter how great he appeared.

Damn I want to ooze confidence! I couldnt get any play for 6months WITH MY OWN GIRLFRIEND and now that I'm single I wish I can have some sex

I dont think there is anything wrong with them. chicks like xxazurexx and many others just dont rate money that high in the charts. i actually admire girls like that. as long as the guy truly loves them and want at long term relationship they'll be motivated to provide a life for his loved ones.
    people have different roles in life. been poor doesnt mean they cant be wonderful loyal partners.

80r is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Funny article to me because I am a bit slackerish, and my amazing gf just left me because she's afraid I won't be able to support her. She goes to a rich college so she keeps seeing all these guys with internships and money so she got turned off by me. I expect (and hope) that she'll realize these guys aren't so great after all and come back to me. Her need for me to be in a well-paying job was the only thing keeping her from being perfect (in my eyes).

The irony is that I'm actually a very hard worker, very intelligent, and am about to graduate in little more than 2 months. I'll probably be quite wealthy in the future; I just want a job I like and am having trouble figuring out what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by 80r View Post
    Funny article to me because I am a bit slackerish, and my amazing gf just left me because she's afraid I won't be able to support her. She goes to a rich college so she keeps seeing all these guys with internships and money so she got turned off by me. I expect (and hope) that she'll realize these guys aren't so great after all and come back to me. Her need for me to be in a well-paying job was the only thing keeping her from being perfect (in my eyes).

The irony is that I'm actually a very hard worker, very intelligent, and am about to graduate in little more than 2 months. I'll probably be quite wealthy in the future; I just want a job I like and am having trouble figuring out what that is.
    She'll come crawling back if those rich dudes dont have the qualities that she prefers. But chances are, plenty of successful men are just as charming, talented, humorous as the unemployed slackers. It's not a trade off.
    Who says you can't be cool like slackers and have money also?

80r is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    She'll come crawling back if those rich dudes dont have the qualities that she prefers. But chances are, plenty of successful men are just as charming, talented, humorous as the unemployed slackers. It's not a trade off.
    Who says you can't be cool like slackers and have money also?
    I didn't say they couldn't be. But I'm pretty awesome. I've never met anyone who didn't like me. And I have a lot of rare traits that she looks for. The only thing I do not have is a full-time job, though I am in school right now, working part time.

I didn't read the article, but that's just what it is... an article. People write articles every day, and they just express their views. There may not even be any truth to it.

Your friends are right that you are better off....unless you TRULY loved him?

Anyway, you deserve far better than men just wanting to "bed" you if you don't have a job... think about that. I know you want more out of a relationship than that.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, if THEY won't work, at least their penises will. Everyone has to be good for SOMETHING.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybeach7 View Post
    Your friends are right that you are better off....unless you TRULY loved him?
    I did truly love him... I didn't break up with him cause he was unemployed, I broke up with him because he acted like I was the scum of the earth. My friends were saying I'm better off without him because they think he had no right to treat me as if I was the loser.

A lot of them also said he'd realize that he was lucky to have a girl like me.

..... But apparently getting girls like me isn't that hard for guys like him. So nice to know the break-up has actually resulted in way BETTER opportunities for him. </Bitter>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast